Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fava bean seedlings and cold tolerance

Posted by RyanK817 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 22:35

So I'm about to leave town for 4-5 days for Thanksgiving, and it's going to get quite cold (for this part of GA) while I'm gone, low 20's almost every night. I planted some Windsor Broad Beans in a raised bed a few weeks ago, and on average they're about 3-5 inches tall now. I know fava beans thrive in cold weather, but can seedlings that young and small handle such cold weather with likely freezing? I have a plastic cover I've been putting over them on cold nights, but I don't know if leaving it on all night and day while I'm gone would do more harm than good. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fava bean seedlings and cold tolerance

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 9:03

How about something like Remay that would offer some protection without cooking them in the daytime?
Dick

o

Favas don't really 'thrive' in cold weather. They sit it out but they won't be growing. They survive better when they are short than taller ime. I agree that fleece would be better than plastic as it breathes and lets in moisture.

o

I actually ended up using a bale of hay my wife had been using for fall decoration. I spread it over the whole bed at least 6 inches deep, so even though they won't get much sun, it's only for 4-5 days and they should get some insulation from the freezing temps without getting baked during the day. I'll post about how they end up doing once we get back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here