Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for next year..ummmmm

Posted by gizzardfarm 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 10:58

Hey guys i live and grow in southern Tennessee close to the Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee line. I usually grow Macasline (spelled wrong im sure) and Kentucky wonder. Next year i would like to add a few more varities any suggestions? Im about sold on Rattlesnake and maybe blue lake.. I have never grown bush beans but am not opposed to them.. one more factor i sell at the local farmers market so i need lots of beans..good ones..
thanks
gizzard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for next year..ummmmm

Go to www.sandhillpreservation.com and check out their bean varieties. They are updating the website so give it a few days. One you will enjoy is Blue Marbutt. The beans are a very nice eyepleasing blue/purple color and make very good flavored canning beans or for fresh snaps. Wait until Glenn gets these listed and then order. He has about 3 gallons of seed, but I expect he will sell out this season. They are excellent! If you are interested in lima beans, the Carolina Red are an excellent sieva variety for our climate. they are very pretty seed and taste is outstanding.

You might also check out Fortex and Emerite which are two nice beans for market. They are not much for canning. If you have a market for wide flat Roma type beans, check out Musica.

musica

fortex

Emerite

Sandhill website

DarJones

o

Check out some of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greasy Beans

o

gizzard
Read the thread on Insuk's Wang Kong(runner bean),this forum.If interested I can send you some seed.
Jim

o

Thanks Ya'll keep those suggestions coming.. as far as my own taste i love to eat mccaslines and kentucky wonders but im looking for snap beans that will really produce loads of beans for market.. tell me about half runners and bush beans as far as numbers and taste..

gizzard

o

You are growing two good pole snap beans for your area (McCaslan and Kentucky Wonder).

Black Valentine is a productive snap bush bean and it's noted for its taste. It's done well for me the last two years and we've been in a drought since Katrina came thru in 2005.

My mother-in-law likes Romano pole beans for their flavor.

I've never grown it but Fortex is said to be a very good flavored pole bean that's productive and stringless. I looked for seeds of it last year but everyone was already sold out so if you decide to try it I would suggest you get your seeds early.

o

Fedco is already out of Fortex....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here