Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiced_ham

pole beans and sweet corn?

spiced_ham
14 years ago

I want to try hidatsa shield beans next year and the easiest way would be in with my sweetcorn (limited space, north side of garden), but sweetcorn doesn't grow very tall. Should I forget about it? The beans will aslo have a wire fence to grow on behind the corn, but that is only chest high.

Comments (4)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

The wire fence may be your best bet. Some of the larger cultivars of sweet corn, especially the older open pollinated cultivars will hold pole beans. Stowells Evergreen, Country Gentleman. A few of older large hybrids also will work. Allow extra space and let the corn get a foot to two feet high before planting the beans. Even then they will cut your corn yield.

• jimster
    14 years ago

To get a good bean crop, space the corn to allow plenty of light to penentrate. This past summer I planted a three sisters garden with hills spaced 4 feet apart in both directions with 4 to 6 plants per hill. That, together with the fact I didn't remove tillers (suckers) resulted in a dense growth of corn which didn't allow much light to get down between the corn stalks. My bean yield was next to nothing and the squash crop was zilch. The corn yield was excellent.

I visited another three sisters garden where hills were spaced at 6 feet. It had vigorous bean and squash plants. Unlike my garden, you could see down the space between the rows.

Jim

• spiced_ham
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I grow my corn in a double row up against the fence (both sides get direct sun at some point in the day), so the beans will hopefuly knit everything together and there will be enough light.

For an interesting read you can download the pdf of Agriculture of the Hidatsa Indians from google books. They spaced corn hills 4ft apart and centered smaller bean hills within each set of four corn hills. The squash were in thier own sections of the fields, which separated large plots of corn/beans. They didn't have the squash vines running in amongst the corn. It was pretty intensive/efficient use of space and sunlight.

I'm not sure where the idea to grow all three sisters together came from, maybe the woodland tribes did it that way, but it seems like the corn would definitely shade the squash if done that way.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

I always figured that they planted the squash, mainly, on the outside edge of the garden. Though, when we lived in Mexico, we did observe some Native American fields with all three interplanted. They did rows of corn with beans planted on one out of every so many corn plants and squash planted, in the row of corn, every so often. Often, the plantings were somewhat sparse by my standards. But it worked.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations