Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
succession planting peas and pole beans?

Posted by emmers_m 6 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 12:45

Hopefully I will get to plant a spring season in my garden for the first time this year, and I'm trying to get a handle on succession planting. I have 30' of trellis, which I want to cover in pole beans as soon as possible (except for the 2.5 feet I'm begrudging to a couple of cucumbers) and I'm wondering if I can first put peas on the trellis without delaying the pole beans.

Rough calculations would be planting peas April 1 (I think) and beans May 15, so the beans would be growing while the peas were bearing.

Has anyone had success (or not) with this?

Thanks!

~emmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: succession planting peas and pole beans?

You mean grow the beans right over the peas? I haven't done it, but I guess you could do it. Probably the beans would start twining over the peas before the peas were done, so you would not be able to rip out the pea vines without damaging the beans. If so, you might have a problem with the powdery mildew that peas sometimes get as they finish, being transferred to the beans. If all your varieties are resistant, or if you spray with milk to stop the mildew (supposed to work by changing the leaf PH), or if you plant the peas on one side and the beans on the other so that you might have a chance at removing the peas without bean damage, it could work.

Try it and let us know how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here