Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

Any interesting legumes for next season(2011)

deanriowa
13 years ago

I still have a bunch of old favorites to plant, but some of new ones(to me) for next season are:

Bush - Choctaw Wax

Bush - Giant Stringless Green Pod

Bush - Iregi Wisconsin

Bush - Red Valentine Stringless

Bush - Wunder Butter(Wax)

Pole - Grampa Bishop

Pole - Greasy Grit

Pole - Greasy Grit Menifee County Kentucky

Pole - North Carolina Long Greasy

Pole - Tarheel

Pole - Tennessee Cutshort

Pole - Unknown Polish

I would like to try planting some Edamame beans and other soybeans as well. I am looking for a good green yardlong bean to try as well.

How about everyone else, are there any new legumes you are planning on planting next season?

thanks,

Dean

Comments (12)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Plans may change as I'm still thinking it through but a few I know I want to try are....

Pole - Somos Greek Lima (runner)
    Pole - Tobacco Worm
    Pole - A huge yellow flat bean given to me a couple of
    weeks ago, they didn't know the name, looks like
    pictures of the black seeded Wonder of Venice
    Pole - Bird's Egg #3
    Pole - Swiss Landfrauen (that is if I luck out)
    Probably a couple more, decisions, decisions, decisions.

I'll be planting a few more varieties but the above are new to me. Here's hoping the weather cooperates, this year was the pitts, I want to try Barksdale again.

Annette

• happyday
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to trying Flintknapper's Black Jungle beans and limas, hoping they will adapt to my shorter summer and still produce in time. Built some tall hoop trellises with rebar to run them over.

I also look forward to trying a runner bean with salmon pink flowers, some Tiger Eye bush beans given by friends, and of course whatever wonderful surprises might come in the bean swap. :)

Whatever happened to the Dollof bean, somebody here got a trade of them, how did they do?

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

I got about 50 seed of Dolloff and grew them out this past summer. Production was decent but not spectacular, however, this was one of the worst summers I've ever grown beans through. My overall impression is that it is a very good bean that needs a bit of care early in the season. I will definitely be growing it next year. I have about 500 seed saved to plant. It will be planted as early as possible to avoid the worst of the summer heat.

I have some new beans planned for next year but won't be ready to say what gets grown for a few weeks yet.

DarJones

• drloyd
    13 years ago

Annette, Bird's Egg #3 should be an interesting one with the largest seed of any common bean that we know of. It is long season and it has never been grown in this part of the world as far as I know. I have wanted to grow it but Zeedman has been doubtful of the outcome. I will look forward to reading about your results. - Dick

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Dick, it will all depend on the weather, if we have a growing season like the one in 2009 I will able to plant out in April and would have until November for them to mature. I only have a few seed of Bird Egg #3 so I won't plant them all.
    I'll give them a head start by starting them in the greenhouse. If they don't make it for me I'll give the remaining seed to my son who lives further down island where it's almost a zone warmer. Nothing ventured nothing gained or so they say :).

Annette

• flintknapper
    13 years ago

Happyday.I believe the black jungle butterbean will produce for you if you have approx. three months growing season. One of my plants mutated and produced real pretty dark maroon/ speckled seed that I will plant this spring to see if they will breed true. I named it speckled jungle butterbean. I would post a picture if I knew how to use photo bucket.I received many different varieties of heirloom beans in trade for my black limas.I hope I live long enough to test all of them.here is a list of them.

Illinois giant lima
    Hopi yellow lima
    German red bush lima
    Hopi red lima
    speckled calico lima
    doctor Martin's lima
    Dreer's lima
    true red cranberry
    gigandes lima
    1880's butterbean
    christmas lima
    Loudermilk lima
    sword bean
    Ma William's pole bean
    rattlesnake pole bean
    Rose pole bean
    striped hull greasy hull cutshort pole bean
    ideal market pole bean
    Cherokee trail of tears
    purple pod pole bean
    turkey craw
    Aunt Jeans shell dry pole bean
    Giao shell dry pole bean

At the present time I have four varieties of fava beans I hope to get a crop from before the temperature gets too hot in the spring. They look real good at the present time after four light freezes. I also have one Mexican black lima in my green house in a large container to see if it will do anything during the spring equinox (It is day length sensitive)
    flintknapper

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Annette, in spite of its long DTM, the BE#3 might make it with an early start. It has proven to be highly disease resistant in my climate, which might help it to survive cooler weather. Only one way to find out. Drloyd, I say... roll the dice.

And add my voice to those hoping for a much better bean year in 2011. Given the wide separation between my location, Drloyd's, and Fusion's, 2010 was an extraordinarily bad year for beans. Great year here for soybeans & yardlongs, though.

Since both of my planned trips were canceled this year (to SSE, and to the AHSC gathering in Kentucky) I didn't collect many new varieties for 2011. A shame, since I hear that Fusion brought his whole collection to Kentucky this year. ;-)

Beans - Because of the bad weather last summer, there probably won't be too many new bean trials for me in 2011... it will, in large part, be a repeat of 2010. BE#3 and "Soissons Vert" will need to be regrown for good seed, as will "Clem & Sarah's Big Bean". I'll also be growing a much larger crop of the unnamed Serbian pole that had such wonderful flavor as a shelly. The seed has a three-color pattern very similar to "Hidatsa Shield Figure", but is more closely akin to "Snowcap" in size & shape.

The only new bean variety planned so far is "Doloff", which was supposed to have been planted last year, but never made it into the ground. There was also an apparent cross or mutation in my BE#3 last summer; every seed on one plant had small white spots on a red background. I'll be re-growing it (hopefully under a tent) to see if any of the seed breeds true. The pole wax bean trial is still to be determined, probably the nearly extinct "B.B. Wax" or the heirloom "Schwarze Witwe".

Runner beans - "Bianco de Spagna" is another bean which was planned last summer, but never planted due to weather. I'll try it again in 2011.

Limas - "Carolina Red" is a pole lima that I've wanted to grow for quite some time, and thanks to a trade, it will get a trial in my home garden. I'm still wavering over which lima to grow large-scale in my rural plot. The medium-large pole varieties "Madagascar" (red & white) and "North Star" (white) were both grown on poor ground for their first trial, so I would like to test their performance in more fertile soil... and normally I grow a pole variety in my main/rural plot as part of my barrier crop strategy. However, I really want to grow the heirloom bush "Cave Dweller, Black Seeded" on a large scale. My love of limas may yet drive me to turn over a garden in a third location (it scares me that I'm actually considering that).

Yardlongs - If Evergreen Y. H. is operational this year (their site appears to be) I will be growing a trial of one (or two?) of their more unique yardlongs. I'll also be doing a larger planting of either the "Thailand Pole" which I grew in 2009 (very smooth, almost white pods) or the Philippine yardlong "Sierra Madre" (tender to snap bean width). "Yancheng Bush" has made my "must grow" list, since it is so much earlier than the others. Several of my dry cowpeas require replenishment, I'll have to integrate some of them with my yardlong growouts.

Peas - This will be my third year attempting to stabilize the table pea "Purple Podded Parsley", from breeder Alan Kapuler. Last summer's crop was very encouraging, nearly all purple pods. I'm very optimistic, hopefully this year the purple pod color will be fixed & I can begin to select for yield & flavor. Quite a few of my soup peas are in need of being replenished, haven't decided on varieties yet.

Soybeans - I was very impressed with the black & green edamame "Natsu Kurakake" last year, but it was a seed crop, and I only ate two meals. And I almost lost this variety the first year!!! This year I hope to grow enough to freeze some, and further increase the seed. The main focus of my soybean trials this year will be high-yield Northern-adapted field varieties... but I always grow several edamame varieties as well.

2011 will be my final year of new soybean trials from the collection of the late Robert Lobitz, since the seed I obtained from his estate is all from 2006 & germination is beginning to drop off. I'll be looking for good homes for the remainder... perhaps in Canada, since many of Robert's field varieties were selected for short seasons.

Many other legumes will be planted, mostly to replenish seed in my collection which is nearing the end of its storage life. I should have a complete list by the time someone starts the annual "what are you growing" thread. Which if memory serves me, was started by Dean last Spring... chomping at the bit, eh Dean? ;-)

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zeedman said, "Philippine yardlong 'Sierra Madre' (tender to snap bean width)"

The Sierra Madre stays tender longer it sounds like, that is a quality I am looking for in a yardlong. That might be something for me to grow next season.

Zeedman also mentioned Soup Peas, I like soup and I like peas, so sounds like another addition to my garden next season and I was planning on a minor reduction in garden size next season, I guess not. :)

thanks,
    Dean

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Geeze, you all are so much farther ahead in planning than me! I'm going to have to pull the bean box out and make my plans.
    The only one I know for sure right now is Bosnian Pole.
    Remy

• neohippie
    13 years ago

Definitely growing some tepary beans this year. I bought them from Native Seeds/SEARCH last year but didn't get around to planting them.

Also going to try limas for the first time.

I have seeds for a red noodle bean that I might try as well. I'm not even sure what that is. Is that like a yardlong bean? Used green?

Haven't decided which Phaseolus vulgaris I'll do next year. Have a lot of seeds in my collection.

Won't be growing runner beans ever again. It's just too hot here for them. I got ONE pod last year. Saved the seeds from that one pod and gave them away.

Oh, and right now, over the winter, I'm growing favas for the first time, and they're doing awesomely. The variety is Aquadulce.

• happyday
    13 years ago

Neohippie, you should talk to Flintknapper, he was sharing seeds from beans he grew in Texas, mostly limas. Sounds like limas really love the heat.

• tormato
    13 years ago

I know what I'm planting for 2011. I just don't know, exactly, what I'll be harvesting. It's going to be almost all crosses (F3's - F5's) and variants.

Gary

Sponsored