Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_eatonton

'Hilda' Romano Pole beans

cindy_eatonton
13 years ago

I purchased "Hilda Romano" bean seeds a couple of years ago from Jung and they were one of the best beans I have ever grown. Delicious taste, survived our hot, dry summer, keeps growing even into November.

I've now mostly purchasing from companies that support open pollinated varieties and heirloom seeds. I can't find this variety anywhere by Jung - which is kind of weird. Most varieties of seed seem to be available from at least two or three seed houses.

Does anyone know if "Helda" Romano is the same variety? There's plenty of seedhouses offering that type.

Thanks for any help.

Cindy

Comments (17)

• cindy_eatonton
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks fusion_power. Oops, I should have said "I can't find this variety anywhere except from Jung".

Anyone know if Helda is the same?

Thanks,
    Cindy

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I found the below link, scroll down a bit, which lists a 'Hilda' as a sword bean (Canavalia gladiata). Helda is listed as a common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) most places I've looked. You could always grow a few Heldas for comparison if all else fails.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilda

• cindy_eatonton
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you AfterMidnight!!! I never found that site in all my searching. And it looks like a good source for some other items.

I don't know anything about "Sword Beans" as a group, but Hilda has excellent taste and is more heat tolerant than any of the other beans I planted.

Have a fabulous New Year!
    Cindy

• farmerdill
    13 years ago

The Hilda listed by Gourmet internation is a common bean (P. vulgaris) probably the same as offered by Jung. Sword beans are Canavalia gladiata a quite different group. Helda has the same basic description as Hilda. Both are pole Roma types. Some copyist may have mispelled Helda and others pick up the misspelling. It is a quite common occurance in the seed business.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

I have to agree with farmerdill, they're most likely the same bean, misspelled names and misleading descriptions can lead you down the wrong path.

• Susan Levy
    13 years ago

anyone got this bean can trade for other beans SUE

• weedlady
    12 years ago

Came across this post from last year as I was researching info on the Hilda pole bean. It is being offered as a "discontinued" seed at Nichols Garden Nursery right now for only a dollar a packet. Check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilda bean seed at Nichols

• weedlady
    12 years ago

Sorry...in reference to my earlier post: not sure if they are the same, although I would guess they likely are and that the Nichols spelling may be a typo...

• cindy_eatonton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi WeedLady - they are probably the same bean. I've bought both Hilda and Helda and they look and taste the same. This is my favorite Romano type bean - they even keep trying to grow in the worst of the heat and the plants get scraggly looking, but as soon as temps are down a bit - they start popping gorgeous beans out by the dozens. Thanks for the tip on the sale!

Cindy

• hppyft
    10 years ago

Does anyone have seed for these beans? I'd be happy to send SASE or to do a trade. I really want to try them, but it seems that if I order them online it will end up being $11 for an ounce or 2 of bean seeds because they have a standard shipping and handling rate regardless of how much you order :/

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Hello you folks out there that want Helda Romano bean seed. I have been planting the flat Romano 10" long beans for years. They can be grown into a Shelly bean also if you wait until they fully develop.

I have 3 0r 4 hundred extra for the 1st ones who sent me your mailing address. Will send 30 per package and they will make more than a family of 4 can eat. Mine are already climbing and will be ready to eat the middle of March.

Pay it forward.

Luther

• hppyft
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Luther! I really appreciate your generosity. I'm sending you my address. Please let me know if there's anything I can send you in exchange. I have lots of tomato seeds, peppers, squash and other vegetables.

Laura

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Yes, it is very generous. Luther, I sent you an e-mail about getting some seeds. Would be glad to send off a SASE to you.

Denise

• dlsm
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

For those that requested seed, I will get your seed in the mail this next week. Altho most of you won't need them for a few weeks.

Here is a picture of my Helda Romano Pole Beans

I planted them February 1st. They are starting to climb at this time. Normally they take 50 to 60 days before I get my first mess. I usually pick them when they get about 6 inches long for my first mess. But the weather this year we can expect almost anything. The weather is in the low eighties at this time, so they should make sometime in March.

Happy gardening to all,
    Luther

• Janell Akerson
    4 years ago

Hilda Romano Bean can also be found at Vermont Bean:

Hilda Romano Bean

#01193Questions? Call 1-800-349-1071

60 Day
    Nothing beats the flavor of these deep green, stringless beans. The plants exhibit good heat and disease resistance, and produce incredibly large quantities of flat-podded, 10 to 12 inch beans. Vigorous vines require a trellis or bean tower for best results.

Sponsored