Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crnagora95

Has Anyone Started Think of Next Year?

crnagora95
12 years ago

I know the season has only been over for a month or two now, but is anyone thinking of what they want to plant next year?

Comments (39)

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm thinking of 'Bosnian Pole', 'Uzice Speckled Wax', 'Grandma's Yugoslavian', 'Tisa', 'Sumadinka', possibly 'Barksdale' and also four pole wax beans I am getting from the USDA. I have to grow 'Uzice Speckled Wax' this especially, as my seed plants for the variety didn't make but two beans.

• drloyd
    12 years ago

I am counting the days (or at least the months) to June 1! Days will start getting longer in just a week!!

Uzice Speckled Wax started off very slowly in our cold spring and the snaps were late. But they kept us in quality shellies for most of October when most others were finished. It is a keeper for sure. - Dick

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

It's a little too early to finalize my list but for sure I'll be growing a row of Comtesse de Chambord, this little bean almost disappeared from the scene but it is available from several sources now:).

I'll be attempting to grow a few German Red Limas in a protected raised bed and possibly Black Jungle Butterbeans in the greenhouse.

Barksdale did well for me last year even tho the weather was the pits for most of the growing season, this year I don't have to worry about saving seed so we can actually eat some.

Kew Blue for seed, Purple Italian Marconi for comparison, seed and hopefully some to eat.

Bird Egg#3, Swiss Landfruen, Soissons Vert, Polish Freidank, Bosnian Pole, Insuk's Wang Kong, Uzice Speckled Wax, Brita's Long, Cherokee Trail of Tears (main), Grandma's Yugoslavian, Baba's Pole and possibly a couple more.

In tubs, Fagiolina del Trasimeno, Senegalese Purple Cowpea, Little White Rice and Blue Jay.

This list isn't written in stone, it depends on what comes my way before it's time to plant, have some feelers out for a couple of things :).

2013 if I'm still up and at it will be the year I'll be growing some of the other varieties I haven't grown yet or haven't grown for a couple of years, make sure the seed stays viable.

Annette

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know about you guys, but I love seeing lists of what people are growing.

On another note, I got those seeds from the USDA today! Four varieties of pole wax-beans: 'Puterka', 'Visok Puter', ' Zolt Puter' and 'Puter'. Puter is one way of saying butter in Serbian; I've noticed many European varieties of wax beans usually have their word for butter in the name: Buerre, burro, mantequilla, etc. I'll put pictures of the seeds on soon, the variety is fascinating!

On ANOTHER note, I think that this is the list now:

-'Bosnian Pole'
    -'Uzice Speckled Wax'
    -'Grandma's Yugoslavian'
    -'Tisa'
    -'Sumadinka'
    -'Puterka'
    -'Visok Puter'
    -'Zolt Puter'
    -'Puter'
    -'Baba's Pole'
    -'Rumanian'
    -'Kukuruzar'
    -'Scarencic'

If I can find a source for 'Serbian Pole' I'll also get that on the list.

• deanriowa
    12 years ago

Here are my initial thoughts for next season:

Bush - Snap
    Annelino di Trento
    Cherokee Wax
    Empress
    Golden Wax Bush
    Migliorucci
    Norcio
    Woods Mountain Crazy Bean

Bush - Dry
    Biwa Sitter
    Dr Wyche's Russian
    Hutterite
    Vermont Cranberry

Pole - Snap
    Blue Coco
    Bosnian Yellow Pod
    Landfrauen
    Lilaschecke
    Major Cook's Climbing Bean
    Nell's Climbing Bean
    Rattlesnake
    Piattelle Toscane
    Tarheel

Cowpeas
    Fagiolina de Transimeno
    Holstein
    Mayo Colima
    Purple hull

I definitely will be reducing my list a bit, but then again I have a couple of other legumes I might be adding as well, at least this is a start. :)

Dean

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel like I might not make it till April 1st :(

But now I have the whole winter to stock up on poles and twine, not to mention any varieties I'm dying to try out!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

crngora95 - where you live I don't think the bean season ever needs to be over. You could be growing favas right now.

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would be growing them, but I really don't like favas, so I don't plant them. The only legumes I have in the ground now are snap peas.

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I might end up adding 'Bis' and 'Pisarecka Zlutoluske' bush beans. As much as I hate harvesting those, I am hooked to their descriptions, they are supposedly very productive.

• vtguitargirl
    12 years ago

They all sound so GOOD! So my list still needs a lot narrowing down, but here's what I'm considering for 2012:

POLE SNAP BEANS
    Garden of Eden
    Kentucky Wonder (and dry)
    Rattlesnake (and dry)

POLE DRY BEANS
    Hidatsa
    *True Red Cranberry
    *Doloff (HHS)
    *Flagg (HHS)
    Cherokee Trail of Tears
    Gaga Hut Pinto (HHS)
    Lena's Bean (HHS)
    Snowcap (HHS)

BUSH DRY BEANS
    King of the Early (Fedco)
    Hutterite
    Vermont Cranberry
    Kenearly (Fedco)
    Jacobs Cattle

• jolj
    12 years ago

Some of us can plant winter peas in a few weeks.
    Spring beans in 14 weeks or so.
    Think about it everyday.

• Macmex
    12 years ago

Last year was the worst garden year I've experienced. Not only were conditions awful, but I struggled to get time in the garden, in part, due to the extreme heat. (When it get's that hot one can only handle about 15-20 minutes in the sun.) Our beans were devoured by rabbits until August. I mean DEVOURED. I replanted four times without any harvest. This winter we will finish of our reserve of canned vegetables, after two years of bad or no harvest.

This year I MUST put away some food! So, if all else fails I will plant some Contender bush beans in August. Someone gave me some seed this year and I planted a couple short rows at that time. They made a good crop and we rejoiced to finally eat some green beans in 2011.

I prefer pole beans over bush. But in 2012 I will plant a good sized planting of Woods Mountain Crazy Bean. I protected my 2011 plants with a cage and matured 4 times the seed by heating and covering during our early frosts, in the fall. We hardly tasted them, and that raw, but they seemed good. This bean is adapted for our hot dry summers and we saw first hand how it produced. So, I'm going to plant like Mawma did in her pictures and plan on a canning party. I also plan on installing low "rabbit wire" around my garden fence. That way, if a rabbit does get in, it won't be able to escape me so easily.

For over 25 years I've maintained seed to Fowler Bush Bean, which has the everbearing trait so rare in bush beans. Fowler is an heirloom carried over the Oregon Trail, which a seminary prof of mine received from a family in Washington State, who had maintained it since that time. He failed to get their name or the name of the bean, so, when I got it into the Seed Savers Exchange it received his name. I have only grown it to reproduce seed, probably for the last ten years. In 2012, I want to reproduce a lot more seed, as my stock is low. I also intend to pick and can this bean,

We must grow Tennessee Cutshort, as it is our own family heirloom, and if a friend hadn't sent me some of his reserve seed, I'd be nearly out of it, due to last summer's problems.

I will grow a sizable planting of Barksdale, as it, too, is our family heirloom. Barksdale is not ideal for our extreme heat. But it holds on, and when it makes it through the scorching weeks of July & August, it generally produces very well until frost.

I plan on growing enough Childers Cutshort to renew my seed and begin the process of culling out crosses from the 2007 crop. Childers is a KY look-a-like to Tennessee Cutshort; an excellent bean.

I hope to grow out Tarahumara Pink Green Bean, which only flowers here in late September, but which produces scads of beans. The snaps are sweeter than any other we've ever tried. But they are short lived as snaps. This bean is absolutely rampant in growth and will produce a quart of dry seed per plant. The dry seed looks like pink and black speckled kidney beans. They make excellent shellies and very good dry beans. When this bean suddenly breaks forth into bloom it looks like a cloud of beautiful pink blossoms. It is one of my daughter's favorites.

I have lost any viable seed of Calico Willowleaf Pole Lima, which is extremely rare. So this winter I will try to track down someone who received seed from me, so I can get a new start and grow it. Probably, I'll also grow out Black Jungle Bean Lima. In 2010 it just barely produced here. But I believe it could do much better.

I may grow out Long Cut Old Timey Greasy Bean and/ or a cross I have of it and Black Greasy. But I need to try not to get to extended as I must be sure to spend the necessary time to make a good honey harvest in the coming year.

I am going to do a germination test, and if it comes out well, will plant a good patch of Kahala Soy. This is the only soy I found which would thrive and produce at the same latitude as Mexico City. It is a tall, hay type soy. Anyway, if the economy continues as it has been, we will try to grow enough of this to make our own "coffee" for the coming year. Soy or garbanzo make a great coffee substitute. This bean is also rare.

Okay, I've probably stated more than I can actually do. But that's my hope. 2012 must be a year of production or we will be in trouble. So I am going to make that a high priority.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: thread which discusses Calico Willowleaf Pole Lima

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    12 years ago

2011 was a great bean year for me. I was able to "discover" shelly beans, which are a delicacy I intend to grow every year from now on.

Tennessee Cutshort was my best overall performer last year and it will be my main snap crop in 2012. For flavor, tenderness, good heat tolerance, and use as a snap/shelly combo it cannot be beat.

Thanks to flintknapp, I will be able to trial Wood Mountain Crazy Bean in 2012. I would love to find a reliable, delicious bush snap bean outside of the Blue Lake mold.

For shelly beans, I really enjoyed Soissons Vert and Giant Red Tarka. I will probably alternate between these every year from now on. In 2012, I will probably grow out Giant Red Tarka for the simple reason that I have less seed
    saved of this variety. Both are productive, excellent, delicious beans.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Never did Pole beans before so I'll be planting lots of those this year. Tried a few bush types and they didn't do well, maybe it was my timing.

• jsulmer
    12 years ago

Here is my list so far, about half will be new varieties for us:

Pole beans

For fresh beans:
    Cobra and/or Emerite
    Phenomene
    Helda and/or Musica
    Neighbor Bean
    Rattlesnake
    Barksdale
    Gold of Bacau

For shelly/dry:
    Tarbais
    Soissons Vert
    Brita's Foot Long
    Speckled Uzice
    Bird Egg #3
    Ma Williams
    Tolosa
    Good Mother Stallard

Limas:
    Black Jungle Butter Bean
    Gigante
    Dreer's Improved

Bush beans:
    Moliere
    Buerre de Roquencourt
    Gussdor
    Rouge de Syrie
    German Red lima
    Cannellini

But you all have given me some ideas of new beans to look up. I'll be especially interested to hear how your beans do, crnagora95, as you listed many varieties unfamiliar to me. George, interesting that Barksdale is one of your family's beans, I chose it partly because some of my husband's family were Barksdales.

Jana

• Macmex
    12 years ago

My wife's grandparents, Albert and Cora Swalley, of Salem, IL, received seed of Barksdale from a neighbor named Claude Barksdale. This was back in the depression. They kept it going through the 80s when they gave us some seed. I've listed it in the Seed Savers Exchange almost ever since.

George

12 years ago

George, I think I have mentioned elsewhere that Barksdale did quite well for me last year which was one of the worst growing seasons I've ever experienced. I finally have enough seed saved I'm can actually share some with a friend this year.

Annette

• jsulmer
    12 years ago

George, my husband's family were all Southerners, but I'll ask him if he remember any "Claudes". If my SSE request hasn't reached you yet, it likely will this week.
    Jana

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    12 years ago

I'm in George's boat... after several bad years (including no preservation garden at all last year) I've got a lot of older seed in my collection that is in need of replenishment. That will be my main focus this year, but I still hope to get a few trials in.

It warms my heart to see so many people planning to grow "Uzice Speckled Wax"; it is such a great bean, and I no longer fear for its future. I hope to replenish my seed stocks this year, and for the other Serbian wax bean, "Tisa", which I received in the same trade. I will also be trialing another unusual pole wax, "Schwarze Witwe", which was dropped by the only SSE member offering it.

The only other beans set in stone at this point are "Bird Egg #3" and "Soissons Vert", since my 2010 seed is stunted (garden flooded that year) and my previous stock is getting old. Also "Fortex", which will be my main snap this year, and needs to have its stock refreshed also.

"Dolloff" was on my list last year, so I hope to grow a trial/seed crop.

Also hope to do a seed increase of another nameless Serbian bean received in trade, which I will be naming "Serbian Porcelain", since its seed coloration resembles a smaller (and tastier) version of "Porcelain". Aleksander, if you are still out there, that was one great trade!!!

Still hope to get a couple heirloom beans in trade yet, which might get added to this year's plans.

"Sierra Madre" will be my main yardlong this year (for both pods & seed) and hopefully at least one of the others I've collected... probably "Thailand Pole" (gray seeded), which I have never grown except as a seed crop for preservation.

Since I am so far behind in my seed grow outs, I'm still in the process of going through my seed inventory, looking for things in greatest need of replenishment. There will be a lot of soup peas, if I can get them in early enough. Lots of soybeans too; I may be looking for some help in that area (more on that later). Most of my final bean & pea choices will be determined by what is - and is not - being offered in the 2013 SSE Yearbook.

I'd like to grow the "Woods Mtn. Crazy bean" this year, but it seems to be in good hands for the present. This forum has proven to be a real lifeline for preserving heirloom beans!

I'll post my final list when everything firms up.

12 years ago

A few more have been added to my 2012 list, I managed to get my hands on a few 'Selma Zebra' beans and the new purple snow pea 'Shiraz' from the UK.
    I've also been given a few 'Royal City Cannery' beans, this bean was grown back in the 30's for the cannery, can also be used as a snap, if I can find a spot will grow a pole of these for seed.
    'Tiawan Pole' a white kidney shaped bean and several more have also been added to my seed stash but they'll have to wait until next year I need a bigger garden :(.
    I have yet to see what Seeds of Diversity has to offer, my grow list could be drastically changing. I'll post a revised list when they're actually in the ground.

Annette

• drloyd
    12 years ago

Then there is the SSE year book due out in a month or so with over 13,000 varieties to choose from.....

• jimster
    12 years ago

This year I want to simplify my garden to the max. That means growing only the things I cannot buy at the farmer's market and can't live without.

The CLWO (can't live without) snap bean is Fortex. Due to a crop failure last summer (long story) I could save no seed. Can you help me?

Jim

12 years ago

Jimster, you've got mail.

Looking at my records, I can't believe I haven't grown "Fortex" since 2007. It's one of my three main snaps for freezing ("Emerite" and "KW Pole 191" are the others, both of which I've grown twice since). Definitely time to grow "Fortex" again.

• jimster
    12 years ago

"Jimster, you've got mail."

Yippee!!!

Jim

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    12 years ago

I've got favas right now, and super sugar snaps that are about two feet tall.hope they make it. They have survived a few freezes. They look about ready to flower. I'll add more peas in Feb. My beans never seem to do well in the summer, but maybe I will try again.

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My parents have decided to move house, so I have changed my bean plans for the better, as the new house has 600 square feet of garden space compared to my current 180. I have added some pole and bush beans, and can now grow more of each variety.

POLE
    -'Bosnian Pole' (Green Romano; Bosnian)
    -'Uzhice Speckled Wax' (Wax Romano; Serbian)
    -'Grandma's Yugoslavian' (Green; presumably Serbian)
    -'Tisa' (Wax; Serbian)
    -'Shumadinka' (Green; Serbian)
    -'Puterka' (Wax; Montenegrin)
    -'Visok Puter' (Wax; Montenegrin)
    -'Zolt Puter' (Wax; Montenegrin)
    -'Puter' (Wax; Montenegrin)
    -'Baba's Pole' (Green Romano; Montenegrin)
    -'Rumanian' (Green; Rumanian)
    -'Kukuruzar' (Green/Dry; Bosnian)
    -'Tetovac' (Dry; widespread through the former Yugoslavia)
    -'Palanchko Rano' (Wax; Serbian)

BUSH
    -'Scharencich' (Shell/Dry; Bosnian)
    -'Piros-Feher' (Green/Dry; Hungarian)
    -'Bis' (Wax, Polish)
    -'Pisarecka Zlutoluske' (Wax, Hungarian)
    -'Thibodeau de Comte Beauce' (Green/Dry, Canadian)
    -'Blue Jay' (Green, Canadian)

I also plan on growing 'Aunt Vi', 'Ma Williams', and 'Garrafal Oro' in my school garden.
    I'm really excited, I can begin to put beans into the ground in about a month and half, or less if this warm weather keeps up. I have some of the 'Thibodeau de Comte Beauce' beans in gallon pots in my new greenhouse. They are supposed to be producing beans after 45 days, so I will hopefully be having early beans.

12 years ago

An interesting list, Crnagora. As you probably already know, I have been collecting beans from Europe, especially from the former Yugoslavia. You have a few pole beans that I do not recognize, and I look forward to hearing (and hopefully seeing) more about them in the future.

Someone was supposed to have sent me "Piros-Feher" last year, but did not. I wanted to compare it to the Hungarian bean I grow under the name of "Giant Red Tarka", to see if it might be the same bean. After an email, the source has assured me that he will be sending the seed shortly.

My list is taking shape, I'll be posting it soon.

• drloyd
    12 years ago

The SSE Yearbook has many promising shellies. So many beans, so little time! - Dick

• crnagora95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am looking forward to growing 'Piros-Feher', which really does look like 'Giant Red Tarka'. There is a chance they are the same, but as we all know, seed color doesn't tell much. You gotta grow it! I can't wait to see the comparisons!

• drloyd
    12 years ago

Bush beans:
    Candy, shelly
    Clem and Sarah�s Big Bean, shelly
    Clem's Purple, a single plant found in the Clem and Sarah's Big Bean patch.
    Crow River Black, shelly
    Duane Baptiste Potato Bean, shelly
    Family, shelly
    Giant Red Tarka (USDA PI 507984), shelly
    Golden Valley, shelly
    Goose Livcr, shelly
    Marveille de Piement, shelly
    Stockbridge Indian, shelly
    Sweeny Family Heirloom, shelly

Runner:
    Bianco di Spagna

Pole Beans:
    Bingo, shelly
    Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco, shelly
    Borlotta Solista, shelly
    Borlotta Stregonta, shelly
    Bosnian Pole, Romano type snap and shelly
    Brita�s Footlong, snap and shelly
    Chabarosk, shelly
    Cornfield, Striped, snap and shelly
    Dolloff, shelly
    Emerite, snap
    Fortex, snap
    Goose, shelly
    Kew Blue, snap
    Kwintus, snap and shelly
    Neon Goose, shelly
    North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort, snap
    Tennessee Cutshort, snap
    Tobacco Worm,
    Uzice Speckled Wax, wax and shelly
    Volga German Siberian, shelly
    White Simpson Greasy, snap

• drloyd
    12 years ago

Bush beans:
    Candy, shelly
    Clem and Sarah's Big Bean, shelly
    Clem's Purple, a single plant found in the Clem and Sarah's Big Bean patch.
    Crow River Black, shelly
    Duane Baptiste Potato Bean, shelly
    Family, shelly
    Giant Red Tarka (USDA PI 507984), shelly
    Golden Valley, shelly
    Goose Livcr, shelly
    Marveille de Piemonte, shelly
    Stockbridge Indian, shelly
    Sweeny Family Heirloom, shelly

Runner:
    Bianco di Spagna

Pole Beans:
    Anellino Giallo, wax bean
    Bingo, shelly
    Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco, shelly
    Borlotta Solista, shelly
    Borlotta Stregonta, shelly
    Bosnian Pole, Romano type snap and shelly
    Brita's Footlong, snap and shelly
    Chabarosk, shelly
    Cornfield, Striped, snap and shelly
    Dolloff, shelly
    Emerite, snap
    Fortex, snap
    Goose, shelly
    Kew Blue, snap
    Kwintus, snap and shelly
    Neon Goose, shelly
    North Carolina Speckled Long Greasy Cutshort, snap
    Tennessee Cutshort, snap
    Tobacco Worm,
    Uzice Speckled Wax, wax and shelly
    Volga German Siberian, shelly
    White Simpson Greasy, snap

11 years ago

Well, I finally firmed up my list. As mentioned above, most are repeats for seed crops; but there are a few new trials (bolded).

Beans
    Bird Egg#3 - pole, shelly
    Champagne - pole, flat green-podded snap
    Czechoslovakian - pole, flat purple-podded snap
    Dolloff - pole, shelly
    Fortex - pole, main crop snap
    Grandma Robert's Purple Pole - pole, purple snap (thanks to Fusion)
    Light Brown Zebra - bush, dry
    Madeira - pole, dry
    Politscka - pole, ??? (thanks to Aftermidnight)
    Portugal - pole, shelly
    Schwarze Witwe - pole, wax
    Soissons Vert - pole, shelly & dry
    Uzice Porcelain - a.k.a. Uzice. Shelly. This year's trial will determine whether it is a rangy bush, or a weak climbing pole.
    Uzice Speckled Wax - pole, wax

Limas
    Cave Dweller (Black Seed Coat) - bush
    Sieva, Mottled - pole

Runner
    Bianco de Spagna - pole, white seed (thanks to Drloyd)
    Gigandes - pole? white seed, from Greece (thanks to Fusion)
    (both will be trialed as shellies)

Cowpeas / Yardlongs
    Bush Sitao Var. BS-3 - semi-bush snap, tan & white seeds, from Philippines
    CES-18-6 - semi-bush dry, tan seeds, from Philippines
    MN 157 - bush, purple podded calico, dry
    Yardlong, Galante - pole, red & white seeds, from Philippines
    Yardlong, Sierra Madre - pole, red & white seeds, from Philippines
    Yardlong, Yard and 1/2 - pole??? red & white seeds (thanks to Grandmotherbear)
    Yardlong, Yancheng Bush - bush (duh! ;-) red seeds

Peas
    Black Eyed Susan - shelling
    Bill Jump - soup
    Golderbse - soup
    Purple Pod Parsley - shelling (unstable, I'm still selecting for all-purple pods)
    Vantana Matar - soup

Miscellaneous
    Adzuki, Buff
    Adzuki, Takara Early
    Black gram
    Chickpea, Brown Popping (the popping chickpea mentioned in Carol Deppe's book)

All will be seed crops, along with at least 20 soybeans that I will list in a later thread. It appears that my work schedule will allow me to plant this year... I hope Mother Nature cooperates.

11 years ago

Zeedman, I've seen the name "Poletschka" spelled different ways but I'm thinking since the seed I obtained probably came across the pond from Rebsie Fairholm originally, this is the way she spells it. It's a pole bean, on next year's grow list for me.

So far I have planted...
    Bird Egg #3
    Gigantes
    Comtesse de Chambord
    Bosnian Pole
    Black Jungle Butter Beans (in greenhouse)
    Cherokee Trail of Tears
    Wood's Mountain Crazy Beans
    Serbian Pole...only had 10 seeds, planted 5, kept 5 for backup. They germinated fast, now planted out and are looking good. Growing for seed which has already been promised, hopefully I'll have more to share next year.

The only pea I'm growing is the new purple snow pea "Shiraz" from the UK.

Still fiddling with the rest of my list but it looks like it's going to be give or take a couple...
    Barksdale
    Brita's
    Grandma's Yugoslavian
    Soisson Vert
    Kew Blue
    Uzice Speckled Wax
    German Red Lima
    Swiss Landfruen
    Mr. Tung's
    Purple Italian Marconi
    Selma Zebra (seed from the UK)
    Turkey Craw

It looks like the warm weather has finally arrived :)

Annette

11 years ago

"Zeedman, I've seen the name "Poletschka" spelled different ways but I'm thinking since the seed I obtained probably came across the pond from Rebsie Fairholm originally, this is the way she spells it. It's a pole bean, on next year's grow list for me."

Thanks, Annette, I've corrected my spelling to match yours. Dan (Grunt) spelled it "Poltschka" without the "e", so I wonder if there may be more than one spelling, in different regions. I've observed this before with some of my soybeans.

• sweetybug
    11 years ago

My friend gave me some Hendersons bush seed. Ive never grown them. Can anyone give me some advise about how to grow and put them up? Thanks so much and bless you!

• remy_gw
    11 years ago

Such wonderful lists. I'm very happy to see Bosnian Pole on lists. It is funny how one little baggie of seeds can spread so far :)
    This year, I planted (knock on wood they all sprout:)
    Aunt Jean's, pole
    Jeminez, pole
    Jembo Polish,pole
    The single big bean I got from Bill Best that looks similar to Jembo Polish, but a bit flatter, and striping is ligher. He said it was German.
    Lazy Daisy Greasy
    Marie Amazilitei, yellow pole
    Red and White Fall
    Red Eye Greasy
    Seneca Speckled Egg, pole (this is a really neat looking little bean)
    Mystery Bean F2, bush, very early (from a friend)

A huge white Lima, biggest I've ever seen, I got them at Rochester garden show a few year a ago from the old man who runs the Crosman seed booth. They were loose and free, and had no name.
    Insuk's Wand Kong, Runner
    Ozark Razorback, Cowpea

11 years ago

My list has changed slightly some of the ones I was going to grow this year have been bumped to 2013. This is what I ended up planting...

BUSH
    Woods Mountain Crazy Beans
    Blue Bloom
    Regal Salad
    Comtesse de Chambord
    Deseronto Potato Bean and Duane Baptiste Potato Bean ( just a couple in tubs to compare)
    German Red Lima

POLE
    Bird Egg #3
    Cherokee Trail of Tears
    Barksdale
    Bosnian Pole
    Turkey Craw
    Swiss Landfruen
    Uzice Speckled Wax
    Serbian Pole
    Selma Zebra
    San Antonio
    Grandma's Yugoslavia
    Jeminez
    Chinese Red Noodle (trying one more time in the greenhouse)
    Black Jungle Butter Beans (in the greenhouse)
    Purple Italian Marconi Stringless
    Kew Blue
    Blue Greasy Grit
    Gigandes (runner)
    Ukrainian Pole (runner) I was given one plant, seed looks similar to Gigandes and Samos Greek Lima growing this one in isolation.

I'm also growing Shiraz Peas

Annette

11 years ago

After reviewing my records, I've made a few changes to my list as well. Since I had an early start this year - which doesn't happen often - I'm growing some longer-season varieties. This mostly affects my soybeans, which I have yet to list. Trials are bolded:

Beans
    Bird Egg#3 - pole, shelly
    Champagne - pole, flat green-podded snap
    Czechoslovakian - pole, flat purple-podded snap
    Dolloff - pole, shelly
    Fortex - pole, main crop snap
    Grandma Robert's Purple Pole Isla (a long season pole shelly)
    Light Brown Zebra - bush, dry
    Madeira Clem & Sarah's Big Bean - bush, shelly
    Poletscka - pole
    Portugal - pole, shelly
    Schwarze Witwe - pole, wax
    Soissons Vert - pole, shelly & dry
    Uzice Porcelain - a.k.a. Uzice. Shelly. This year's trial will determine whether it is a rangy bush, or a weak climbing pole.
    Uzice Speckled Wax - pole, wax
    Added:
    Woods Mountain Crazy Beans - bush, snap

Limas
    Cave Dweller (Black Seed Coat) - bush
    Sieva, Mottled - pole

Runner
    Bianco de Spagna - pole, white seed (thanks to Drloyd)
    Gigandes - pole? white seed, from Greece (thanks to Fusion)
    (both will be trialed as shellies)

Cowpeas / Yardlongs
    Bush Sitao Var. BS-3 - semi-bush snap, tan & white seeds, from Philippines
    CES-18-6 Fagiolino Dolico Veneto - semi-bush, very early eyed pea)
    MN 157 - bush, purple podded calico, dry
    Yardlong, Galante - pole, red & white seeds, from Philippines
    Yardlong, Sierra Madre - pole, red & white seeds, from Philippines
    Yardlong, Yard and 1/2 - pole??? red & white seeds (thanks to Grandmotherbear)
    Yardlong, Yancheng Bush - bush (duh! ;-) red seeds

Peas
    Black Eyed Susan - shelling
    Bill Jump - soup
    Golderbse - soup
    Purple Pod Parsley - shelling (unstable, I'm still selecting for all-purple pods)
    Vantana Matar - soup
    Added:
    Prebohaty - soup
    Limestone - pod

Miscellaneous
    Adzuki, Buff
    Adzuki, Takara Early
    Black gram
    Chickpea, Brown Popping (the popping chickpea mentioned in Carol Deppe's book)

Plus 27 soybeans planted for edamame & dry seed. The cancellations are rescheduled for 2013.

And most importantly... it's all planted!!! :-) No repeat of last year's calamity.

11 years ago

Zeedman Gigandes is a pole, mine have passed 10 feet and are looking for something to cling to.

Annette

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio