Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Recipe, Beans and Greens

remy_gw
17 years ago

Hi all,

It has slowed down here now that is cold out, so I figure I would post how I make one of my favorite things to eat, Beans and Greens. I grew up eating this poor Italian persons' food. Now, it can be found in nice restaurants which I find very amusing. I cook like an old Italian lady, maybe because I'm becoming one, lol, so my directions/amounts are not exact take each amount as an about number, you know, 1lb more or less. I think it would be very hard to mess it up. People love to eat this very simple dish.

1lb cooked beans, Great Northern or a mix of Great Northern and Cranberry(you can use all Cranberry but the white looks nicer)If you are in a hurry and all you got is a can of beans, use it.

Garlic chopped, I like lots, use at least 4 cloves if not more

1lb at least of greens cut up, traditionally Escarole or Endive is used, but other greens or spinach can work too. If you are in a hurry those 1lb frozen bags work good, just defrost in the microwave.

Olive Oil

Butter( you can use just all oil, but we always added both.)

Salt and Pepper

Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Good Italian Bread

In a good size pot, saute the garlic in olive oil. Add the greens and a bit of water to wilt it down. Once wilted down, add enough water to cover greens, but don't add too much, just enough so that once the beans are added it will be like a good thick soup.

Add some pepper and salt.(Be careful with the salt if you are adding canned beans, and remember too Parmesan Cheese is added at the end.) Simmer until the greens are done to your liking. Escarole/Endive ribs get tender when done.

Add the beans. Give a good swirl of olive oil over the top and a couple pats of butter. If it is too thick add just enough water so it isn't. Bring back to a simmer, and taste. Add more pepper, salt, or oil if needed. If it isn't garlicy enough, you can always add some garlic powder and make note of needing more for next time. Let simmer for a few more minutes, and give one last taste test.

Ladle into bowls and top with fresh grated cheese and serve with good bread.

I have seen variations where chicken stock is used in place of some of the water. I have also seen where bacon is cooked and the grease is used along with the bacon bits added to the mix. sometimes other beans are used like Cannellini. I've had a prosciutto ham and Fava bean version that was very good.

If I didn't make sense somewhere, please tell me! If you try making it,(I hope some people do.) tell me how it came out.

Now that I posted a recipe, it would be nice to see someone else post one too!

Remy

Comments (4)

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Makes plenty of sense, Remy, and sounds great.

I have to agree with you. It's amusing how peasant food in now haute, and commands big bucks in restaurants. Of course they call it "rustic" rather than "poor peoples."

I mean, the idea that beef short ribs are a gourmet treat leaves me cold. We ate them when I was young because we couldn't afford top cuts.

Anyway, there's a southern variation on your theme. Traditionally, on New Year's Eve, black-eyed peas are served for luck, and greens for money. There are several interesting recipes in which the two are combined, such as

Black-Eyed Peas and Chard

1 lb dried peas
    2 lb Swiss chard
    4 tbls olive oil
    2 onions, choped
    2 cloves garlic, mashed
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 cup black olives, pitted & halved
    Salt

Cook peas. Drain, reserving 1 cup liqid.

Wash chard and cut in 3-inch pieces. Set aside.

In a large saucepan heat oil and saute onions and garlic with the red pepper and allspice until onions are lightly browned. Add the reserved broth, raisins, and chard. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chard is cooked.

Add olives, peas, and salt. Bring to boil again, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes to meld flavors.

• luvorganic
    17 years ago

yall making me haungry; SOUNDS GOOD !!!!

• jimster
    17 years ago

remy did a great job of describing greens and beans. I can vouch for it being a fabulous dish.

I insist on using escarole or endive. It just isn't the same without bitter greens. BTW, escarole is very easy to grow. I like cannelinni, but would be willing to substitute other beans.

In WNY restaurants greens and beans are often offered with the option of adding Italian sausage, but I think that is gilding the lily.

Greens and beans are good as a side or appetizer. They can become a main course as a pasta topping. My favorite pastas for this are small shells or orecchiette (little ears) because they combine well with the beans.

Make this a few times. It will grow on you. I'm craving some right now.

Jim

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gardenlad,
    Lol about the short ribs! It is so true.
    Your recipe is very interesting. I would never think to add raisins to dish with those ingredients. My husband likes black-eyed peas, so I will have to give it a try.

Jim,
    I've never had beans and greens with sausage. I think that is a bit much also. Though I don't really order it out. I'm turning into my father saying, "Why should I order something that I know I can make better." lol! But Fortuna's Retaurant in Niagara Falls does an excellent job of making it like my family's : )
    Remy