Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question: mounting CFLs - vertical or horizontal?

Posted by hambob (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 0:26

So here's the question assuming I'm using some type of reflector either way, which is a better/more effecient means of mounting CFLs? Vertically or horizontally?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question: mounting CFLs - vertical or horizontal?

Yes, inquiring mines want to know. Me too. I sure like the looks of the home made reflector with two horizontal bulbs. Am going to make one. Before I saw his video, I bought a four bulb vanity bar from E-bay. So I can go either way.
Kenny

o

Sideways.

Not as much light comes out the end of the bulb as from the sides, so aim the side at the plants and use reflectors to redirect what misses.

o

And inquiring "minds" too!

Unless you are trying to grow only a couple of plants, I would go with horizontal. But if it is one or two plants in a small hydro unit or similar, I would go vertical and buy one of those cheap cylindrical reflectors.

Mike

o

You can also hang them around the plant(s) vertically so you're lighting them from the sides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here