Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lebowski_gw

questions for hid gurus - ceramic, pulse, etc

lebowski
14 years ago

I have a few questions about HID ballasts, lamps, and what makes them compatible. I've been Googling all these topics, so I hope that others might be wondering the same things and having the same difficult time finding coherent answers.

Q1: Are wattage, start type, and operating frequency the relevant factors in whether a ballast supports a lamp?

Q2: Are all ceramic metal halide lamps pulse-start metal halides? Vice-versa? What makes them different, if anything?

Q3: The most commonly discussed CMH, the Philips Mastercolor Retro, works in a magnetic core & coil HPS ballast. The fact that it is pulse start seems to explain why it will work in an HPS ballast but not in a standard probe start metal halide ballast, but will it work in a pulse-start metal halide ballast?

Q4: If an HPS ballast is pulse-start, what is the compatibility difference between it and a pulse-start MH ballast?

Q5: Why will (some?) pulse start MH lamps like the Sunpulse work with an electronic ballast while a CMH like the Mastercolor will not?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Comments (2)