Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
led grow lights vs regular leds

Posted by luchezars none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 6:54

Hi,

I am new to growing plants indoors or growing plants anywhere for that matter. I have a question about led grow lights. My understanding is that they combine the red light spectrum which plants need for flowering and the blue light spectrum which plants need for vegetative growth. Is there anything else that is peculiar to grow lights and can't I just use a regular LED in the blue spectrum (5 W, around 6000 - 6500 K)and a regular incandescent (20 W) bulb to achieve the same results?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

This post was edited by luchezars on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 9:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: led grow lights vs regular leds

Good Luck for your growth. There are not any peculiar grow light, you can use a regular LED light in blue for vegging and red for flower to achieve same results.

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 16:16

Plants can use the whole spectrum, but they use red most efficiently and they need some blue to avoid getting leggy and so on. If LED grow lights live up to their labeling, they theoretically should give the lowest possible electric bill while still providing adequate light to your plants. But that has to be weighed against the up-front cost.

That's in theory. I don't have the practical experience to say much.

A 20W incandescent doesn't use much electricity, but it also doesn't put out much light. A 13W CFL from the dollar store would give more, and it's so cheap it would probably pay for itself before it burns out, even off that dinky 7W savings. A 5W LED should give more light than the incandescent, at least. But even with LED efficiency, 5W isn't much.

o

How do I know how much light a plants needs (not in terms of hours)? For example, what can I grow with a 240-lumen LED?

o

Hello, I have successfully grown a dwarf tomato variety (Red Robin) under a combination of cool white and warm white leds in doors this winter. The combination used is two warm white to one cool white. That is the same combination you would use with fluorescent lights. I did not use any far red or low blue leds in this setup. I use roughly 50 watts to a square foot giving me approximately 4,000 lumens. You can use only the cool white leds to get seedlings started but no lass than 3,200 lumins to a foot. I have had problems with tomatoes and pepper plants growing too long and falling over with less lumins per foot. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here