Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisswede

Will nomal socket fit CFL?

ChrisSwede
19 years ago

The titel pretty much asks the question.

I am planning on buying 85W 6500K CFL light bulb from topbulb.com. They have a screw-base and I was wondering if these will fit into regular incandescent(sp?) lightbulb sockets or if I need to do anything special?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (7)

• sonnypippo
    19 years ago

it should, as long as the socket is rated for at least 85W.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

They fit standard bases(or Mogul bases if you buy them with the mogul-style base), but the ballasts are very large and you really cannot screw them into a socket with a reflector behind it without much modification.

Sam

• ChrisSwede
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I was at HD today to look at sockets and they had some with different size metal reflectors behind them - up to 8 inches I think. They were clip-on type you use for construction. I had a 42W CFL at hand and it would fit, but I'm not sure if the topbulb.com 85W are larger than the 42W at HD? Do you think they will work?
    Chris

• gawdly
    19 years ago

I have a clamp-on reflector at home with my 42W bulb in it. Unfortunately, if topbulb's 85W is of similar dimension as my 80W Sun-lite bulb, it will not fit.

I ended up buying one of HD's outdoors light sockets(made of green rubber and plastic), and I cut about 1-1.5" off of the top of it and it fit just fine.

Sam

• ChrisSwede
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sam,
    So, for your 80W bulb you bought the socket with loose electrical wire ends? Do you use it with a reflector? If so, what kind?
    Thanks,
    Chris

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Chris, I'm going to post some pics for you:

It was a pre-assembled outdoor lighting plug in a Y-configuration. I trimmed about 1-1.5" off of the socket where the plastic rose up and around the base of a standard incandescent bulb for a watertight fit.

I screwed the bulbs into them with my light hood in between, as you can see in the pics.

Sam

• greenman_oh
    19 years ago

Chris. I have fitted all of my home with CFL's and have not found a socket that they will not fit. I am typing this under the light of 3x100 W equivilent lamps.They are in fact consuming only 23 wats each. The fitting was made for three 40 wat lamps so i'm getting 3X1600 lumens for the expenditure of 69 wats and as the fitting was made for 120 wats I don't think there will be a problem with heat build up. ( in case you can't guess I like a lot of light in the winter) Hope this Helps. Ps I also got mine from HD.
    David.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County