Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minal_gw

Home Depot Shop Light Fixture #732-334

shabbu
15 years ago

i posted this message in growing from seeds, but I think I should have posted here.

Hello,

I been reading a lot of posts from 2005-06 and many people mentioned that they used the home depot commerical electric shoplight fixtures (#732-334)as seedling lighting in a seed starting system. They seemed to cost $7-9. I checked online on the home depot website, but all they have is a $29 expensive shoplight. Does anyone know if these cheap fixtures are still available or if there is an alternative to these?? Has anyone purchased these recently?

Any comments appreciated.

thanks,

Minal.

Comments (7)

• wiley0
    15 years ago

I've seen the cheapie shop lights, retrieved and taken apart a few too. They have a small circuit board and a different kind of ballast and are made cheap, won't last, and maybe even won't work when you get them home. Now, for me, I can take them apart and put in an electronic ballast, rewire if I have to, and then will have a $29 shop light. Of course it helps that I have a couple dozen ballasts laying around and have always canibilized old florescent fixtures for the end parts.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

The cheap home depot shop lights used to have a very good electronic ballast that you could overdrive t-8 flourescents with. I recently purchased a couple more last week and they are now made with cheap ballast that doesn't appear to be overdriven, can only use t-12 bulbs, and is much much smaller than the sunpark ballast that they used to come with. However they are good buys for the money.

• njref
    15 years ago

my "cheap" Home Depot shop lights are still going strong

I have some that are 5 yrs old and as I keep enlarging my garden some 1 year old lights...all seem to work just fine....my plants don't seem to be any different regardless which lights the were grown under

• almax881
    15 years ago

I purchased some of these lights last week. I was not happy with their quality. There was no on/off switch and it was hard to plug the bulbs into the fixture without one of them turning off or blinking like crazy. I returned them.

But, if your set works, then the lights are probably a good deal for the price. Another drawback seems to be the fact that they are T12. Other posts on here suggest that a T8 or T5 light would be more energy efficient.

Let us know how it goes...

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

Cheap lights are cheap lights. These fixtures are remarkably good for the price. If you're growing low-energy short crops these will work fine, and they're great for starting seedlings to get a jump-start on planting outside. That's what most people use these for.

I'm pretty sure you can get overdrive-able ballasts off eBay for cheap if you're electrically savvy.

• anniebetannie
    15 years ago

Maybe someone could be so kind to read this and see if this will do for my plant and veggie seeds. I will be using shelves in the basement.

This is from the Univ. of N. Hampshire extension office. I live in Omaha, Ne. Thanks, Annie
    Lighting: A simple 2-bulb 4-foot fluorescent fixture with standard COOL WHITE bulbs is
    adequate for most leafy vegetables. Do not buy any of the fancy fluorescent grow bulbs; you are
    wasting your money on these expensive bulbs. When we set up a fluorescent light system to
    grow vegetables, what we are paying for is the intensity of light called lumens. For plants the
    more lumens the better. Advances in fluorescent fixtures and bulbs now give us significantly
    more lumens per watt of electricity used than ever before. These highly efficient fixtures and
    bulbs are called T8 fluorescent and are available at all home improvement centers at a very low
    cost. These new fluorescent COOL WHITE bulbs produce 2850 lumens per bulb. This is more
    than adequate to keep lettuce, Swiss chard and spinach very happy.
    What You Will Need: A 4ft. T8 fluorescent fixture that will accommodate 2 bulbs, two T8
    fluorescent bulbs, a 2ft. x 4ft. space with an overhead means to suspend the fluorescent fixture
    and adjust to different heights above your plants, and a 3 prong grounded, mechanical timer
    available at home improvement centers.
    Lighting set up: You must be able to adjust the height of the lights so that they are always 3-4
    inches above your plants as they grow. Lightweight chain with links is very effective. Program
    your light timer to be on 14-16 hours per day.

When would I start planting the seed. They tell me that I can transplante to outside May 1. Also, I've saved some plastic containers, milk jugs and water bottles to use with Shultz potting mixture. I have a spray bottle ready and a fan for circulation.

• damage.com
    15 years ago

Hello, anniebetannie--but maybe this article has the information you're looking for?

This post will show you how I raise plants from seed, indoors, under artificial lighting...

They look like they are using the same instructions that you quoted up there. It's very similar, anyway.

I can give you a little advice on your seed planting, though. It depends a lot on how quickly the plant tends to develop, and how large you want the plant to be when you set it outside. For example, I am growing Shasta daisies and Lobelias in my cold-frame. The daisies will be quite tall by May, and I'll have to figure out where to put them since they won't fit in my cold frame any more. But the Lobelias will still be quite small and I won't have to move or repot them until I feel like it.
    Most seed packets will tell you the plant's mature height, and how many days it takes the plant to grow to adulthood. Other than that, you just need to take your best guess. You should have an emergency place, indoors or out, where you can put any plants that have gotten too tall to fit in your shelves. Hope this helps!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County