Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapman

Best bulbs for starting plants ?

sapman
18 years ago

Having read the post on flouresent lights with great interest, I decided to upgrade my plant starting lights. My system is made up of old lights that work when they feel like it. After reading the input of PlantGuy, MaineMan, and Zink, and all the rest, I went to Home Depot and bought new Com. Shot Lights 732-334. I am wondering what the best T-8 bulbs would be. They have Phillips 34 watt in DAYLIGHT DELUXE, COOL WHITE, and SOFT WHITE. To my eyes that is the order of brightness when I tried them. What would be the best or combo to start plants with. And has anyone figured out what to do with the second yellow wire ? Thanks, Roy

Comments (4)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Do you have the exact bulb names/numbers? T8 bulbs are generally 32W, not 34W. In fact I don't think Philips makie a 34W T8.

Another reason to check the exact bulbs is that the Daylight Deluxe bulbs tend to appear dimmer than the cool white or soft white. Or is that what you meant by your order, dimmest first? For starting plants, I'd just go with the cool white, or maybe the old standby mix of half cool white half warm (=soft) white.

• sapman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Shrubs, Thanks for answering my post. Your right. I should have proof read better , They were indeed 32 watt.
    The one that was the brightest was a Daylight Deluxe, light output 2800, color rendering 85, color temperature 6500K. Bar code # 046677138387.# on side of sleeve is 812896. Next was Cool White Plus, light output 2850,color rend. 78, color temp. 4100K. Bar code 046677133603,sleeve no. is 812802.. Least brightest was Soft White, (had a very slight rosy look) light output 2950, color rend. 85, color temp. 3000K. Bar code 046677138394. sleeve no. is 812898. These were checked in both daylight and nighttime. Same results. I will need to buy somemore, so I would like to get the best for seed starting. These were all 48 inch, 32 watt, T8 Phillips. Thanks Roy

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Interesting that you found the "officially" brightest tube to be the dimmest. Might be the bulbs themselves, might be the combination with the ballast. Most likely it is the way you perceive the bluer light of the daylight tube as being brighter.

Not much to choose between those bulbs. Soft/warm white on its own is not considered suitable as a grow light. Deluxe series bulbs are generally considered to be a little better than the regular ones but they sometimes just don't produce as much light. This one looks pretty good, possibly the best of the bunch. The cool white is also a good bulb. I grow seeds under a mix of daylight (6500K) and warm white (3000K) bulbs.

• sapman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

shrubs n bulbs, Thanks for the comeback, I will put the SOFT WHITE in my shop, and go with the other two for seed starting. Roy