Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansh84

how high to hang t5's

dansh84
14 years ago

Im somewhat new to growing under lights for a headstart in winter but had really good success last year. I had a 4', 4 bulb t-12 fixture that I had re-arranged for a "grow" setup in the basement. I just used cool whites (2) and a couple of "GE Plant and Aquarium" lights. mostly hot peppers, and tomatoes for a longer term and a few other things for a somewhat shorter term later in the late winter/early spring. Everything went really good. and I didn't lose anything (which was sort of bad cause I "planned" on losing/killing some, so I had a bunch of stuff).

Anyway have really been studying and reading about lights but generally focused on just seedlings and thats it. Tomato, pepper, eggplant (mostly) and a few other things that don't take so long term. I bought two 4', 2-bulb fixtures that take the T5 bulbs, which i rearanged and built a pretty nice fixture w/ a nice reflector covered in foil tape, for a total of 4 t5 bulbs. I built this box-type thing where I could adjust the height with some bolts and the box is also foiled around the whole inside. at the lowest point my lights can be about 2" away (from foliage) and at the highest it was only built to go about 20" away maybe a bit more. So these bulbs came w/ the fixtures and are pretty much a mystery to me. I need help w/ the following:

the lights have printed on them: "ACCUPRO AFL/F28T5/28W/830" and then a "Hg" with a circle around it and made in China. No more info on box either. well I get the 28 watt but thats about it. Anyway I read how good these are (for several reasons)and wanted a set to try out, but to keep the post as short as possible, heres the problem. They seem to be obviously much brighter compared to last years, i cant hardly look into them. But right now I have a Piquillo (an early bird, the only one out right except for a habenero and two tomatoes but there heads are still in the dirt as of this morning) that seems to be to hot or to parched or something. It seems to look better and seem happier under the old setup. When I move him under the t5's he becomes "Y" shaped within about 3 hours and wants to curl. In my experience before im looking for a relaxed "T" shape from the baby leaves. I don't over or underwater im sure of. My soil mix is fine im sure, but im not sure about the hight of the lights. I've even reaised the lights to about 16" or so and I do have a fan blowing across the top. It sits at around 76-80 during the day (lights on) and about 59-62 degrees at night (lights off) im on about a 12/12 basis right now. w/ the t12's the lights are as close as possible and it loves it (it would appear, I see results similar to last year) i've read a FEW places that t5's should be similar, but I'd almost bet money hed croak if I left him within three inches all day. One thing to not is I didn't have "piquillo" last year but Im betting the leaves wouldn't be that much different then Jolokia, Habs, DeArbol, etc, right? What do you guys think? Thanks a million, let me know if you have enough info. appriciate it very much.

Comment (1)