Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j4ck_gw

Newbie....help with growlights setup

j4ck
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

Am a newbie that just recently developed the knack for gardening, and this past summer, I did so much to yard, and was pleased with the effort.

I have some seeds and bulbs given to me, and am looking to give them a head start before transplanting outside in the spring.

I came across a basement setup I like, and I bought a shelving stand like the one in the link already:

http://www.flippygirl.com/growlights.html

My question to the experts...what do you think of the light setup, anything you will change in the setup, tips, timer suggestions?

I am just looking to keep it simple like the one in the link, by growing seeds from trays and little pots, and starting some rhizomes and bulbs in bigger pots underneath.

I have a lot of homedepot and Lowes gift cards, so I'll rather buy from there, utilizing those cards.

Looking forward to hearing from you all

Cheers

Comments (6)

• watergal
    16 years ago

I have a similar shelf with lights, and I really like it. It makes life easier if you get a power strip, then you can plug all of the light fixtures into the power strip, and plug the power strip into your timer. A cheap timer should be fine, just add up all the watts of your light bulb and make sure that the timer says it can handle that amount of wattage.

It's also nice if you put the shelf on casters so you can roll it around, but not absolutely necessary.

If you're planning to use tall pots, or let the seedlings get more than a few inches tall, you may wish to use one less shelf than in the picture. You can prop up the pots, or lower the light chains, while the plants are small, and adjust as they grow taller. The objective is to keep the top of the plant about 2 to 3 inches from the bulbs.

Buying a plug-in GFI is also a good precaution, so the power will shut off if some water gets spilled somehow. Accidents happen.

• bettye85
    16 years ago

Wow what a setup I am a newbie at this too! Will have to look into that setup for seedlings.

Bettye

• j4ck
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Watergal.....

Thanks for that, I went out today, and purchased a similar setup

Here is what I purchased

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3321.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3322.jpg[/IMG]

Setup

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3325.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/ikennedy/IMG_3326.jpg[/IMG]

You can see the sunshine flourescent I purchased ( 4 ft ). Basically am just going to be starting seeds and giving plants a boost

• rokal
    16 years ago

Looking good j4ck. I have used a similiar setup for many years and have had excellent results for seed starting.

Some other items you may want/needs are power strip(s), GFIC outlet, small fan for air circulation, heat mats for starting tubers.

Good luck with your seed starting!

Regards,

Rokal

• j4ck
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Rokal.....do you mind shedding more light on your recommendation here

"Some other items you may want/needs are power strip(s), GFIC outlet, small fan for air circulation, heat mats for starting tubers"

power strip, gfi outlet and heat mats...how do these get hooked up to the lights???? Pardon me ignorance, am a newbie to all this :-)

• shellyinmi
    16 years ago

ok let me answer that:

1. heat mats: seed heat mats under trays help the warm crop seeds to germinate. For Example: Peppers, Tomatoes, melons, ect. Heat mats are expensive (IMHO) and you can find a warm place (maybe) to let the seeds germinate then once they do you could move them under the lights. Heats mats can be fussy. Tomatoes can get leggy from the heat after they germinate. Also If you do Buy a heat mat Make sure you have a temp. controller or that its was designed to use for plants. I have fried many a seedling!

2. power strips: they allow you to make a drip loop ( A coil in the electrical cord to let any moisture not get to the power source) and are just easier than tripping over all those wires. Make a drip loop in all equipment cables, to prevent water dripping into socket. That is done by forming a small loop in the cable around 15-20 cm below weight of socket- allows gravity to keep water away from outlets. you can google up some images of this technique if you want to.

3. Fan: Plants like air circulation to prevent damping off (fungal infections)and helps them grow up stronger stemmed.

4.gfi outlet: Use only GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) sockets or extension cords with GFI protection. These devices sense when you are drawing current to ground and immediately shut off the electricity. Many homes have these installed in the kitchen or bathroom. Some homes have them installed in the main circuit box to protect the entire home, however it is much safer to have the GFI socket where your aquarium equipment will be plugged in. They are not expensive, easily installed and found readily available at the local hardware store. GFI devices that plug into your conventional socket are also available for those who don't feel handy. Cheap insurance.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County