Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allanschon

Looking for new lighting options

allanschon
14 years ago

I'm hoping that some of the lighting experts in here can help me with a decision.

I've been using cheap HD shoplights to start seeds and even more HD shoplights, some overdriven to grow orchids indoors for about 5 years. I'm generally satisfied with the performance of the lights, and my plants have all done well. What I'm not happy with, however, is the reliability of these ballasts. I have about a dozen and a half fixtures running year round, and a couple that I only use when I'm starting seeds for the garden, and I've had to replace pretty much all of them at one time or another. I currently need to replace a couple more.

I did my taxes early this year, and happen to have a decent chunk of change coming my way, and I'd like your opinions for replacement options.

The first thing I'm considering is a T5HO system. The prices on these systems have come down quite a bit, and since they are basically only and evolutionary change in the technology I'm using, I'm comfortable with it. For example: the Sun Blaze T5 HO 4 ft by four lamp fixture costs $159. Also, the bulbs are inexpensive if purchased in bulk, and last a long time. What are the downsides?

Another option would be to move to a HID system such as a 400W or multiple 150W MH or HPS. I've never used these, and have always been concerned about heat issues. I've also have to rearrance my growing area to install these, since it's designed around the short lamp to leaf distances needed for the T8s I'm currently using.

I suppose LED lighting is an option, but as a technology in its infancy, an expensive and (imho) unproven one. Can you convince me that it's worth the premium?

Are there other things I need to consider? After re-reading this message, I realize that it sounds like I've made up my mind on a T5HO setup. As a matter of fact, I was about to just get one and was looking for reviews on specific features. Of course, what I noticed is that plenty of people are using HID lighting instead. Before I spend multiple hundreds of dollars, I figured I should ask.

What are your thoughts?

Comments (7)

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Are fluorescent ballasts made differently than 30 years ago? I have never had such an old ballast fail. In fact, I still have them. Maybe, you should buy the old type. Shortly before that, there were fixtures with starters that were unreliable, but the ballasts were reliable.

• allanschon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well keep in mind that these are $9 fixtures. Made in massive quantities by the lowest bidder in China, offered with essentially no warranty. I'd be will to bet that if I spend $35 on a 2 lamp t-8 fixture that the reliability would be much higher.

My guess is that $30 years ago, the standard for quality was a lot higher and it shows. My grandparents had a TV for 35 years; my parent had trouble finding one that didn't break 15 minutes after the warranty was up.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

I spent about $5 per shoplight, 30 years ago. Interestingly, a separate ballast cost a lot more back then.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

"I spent about $5 per shoplight, 30 years ago. Interestingly, a separate ballast cost a lot more back then"

They still cost a lot more. What's your point?

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

What's your point? Small talk.

What are your HID "heat issues"? I grew a tomato plant 1 ft below a 1000 w HPS without problems. Personally, I wouldn't use fluorescent for more than seedlings. HID is more interesting because, unlike fluorescent, a change in bulb types often makes a big difference in plant growth.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

>> HID is more interesting because, unlike fluorescent, a change in bulb types often makes a big difference in plant growth. Except for a hobby, I'm not convinced it is worth the time and cost. First, the MH lamp is going to have far fewer lumens than an HPS, meaning to get the same mols/day, one will have to sacrifice growing area, perhaps by a third. Then there is the "increased productivity" to consider. Will using an MH bulb then switching to a HPS result in the tomato plant producing at least an extra 10 pounds of fruit (not including the cost to cover more area)?

Again, growing a plant or two as a hobby is different than trying to grow seedlings or mature plants for money. If MH or even CFLs improved their bottom line, GH growers would be using them instead of 600 watt HPS bulbs.

YMMV.

Mike

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

Will using an MH bulb then switching to a HPS result in the tomato plant producing at least an extra 10 pounds of fruit (not including the cost to cover more area)?

I wasn't talking about switching bulbs at different growth stages of a plant. I meant, all else equal, you will get a larger variation of results using different HID bulb types.

In my experience, at equal input wattages, plants grow much better under regular HPS than under regular MH at all stages of growth. Also, I have grown plants under a combination of one MH and one HPS 1000 watt bulbs (2000 watts total). The combination seemed to work well. However, I have no reason to believe that Philips CMH 4K is not better than regular HPS nor vice versa.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022