Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Light requirements for Pomegranates?

rcnaylor
18 years ago

I brought some one year old pomegranates inside to avoid freeze damage after they had gone into dormancy outside (about of month outside after the first freeze). But, I forgot to move them into the garage and the heat and light from a skylight brought them out of dormancy.

So, now I am wondering how much light they will need to do OK until I can move them outside (probably about April here). Will the amount of light sitting by east facing french doors be enough to keep them going well, or should I add some artificial light? If so, how much?

You guys both helped and amazed me with some great detailed info on getting cannas starte indoors early last winter. Thought I'd call on you again. PS I am no kind of expert on indoor lighting.

Comments (7)

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think I got the info I needed over in the house plant forum. A guy named Al who grows bonsai was very helpful.

• akiba37
    17 years ago

Is it possible to grow pomegranate plants in zone 6?

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The short answer is probably not akiba. But, here is what I am doing to try. First, under the old USDA zone map, I was in zone 6b and not too far from the zone 7 line. Under the newest one, they list me in zone 7 now.

Second, I bought some of what are called Russian pomagrantes that are supposed to be more cold tolerant. But, they probably aren't quite hardy enough for zone 6. So, I'm hoping I'll get a little lucky with my attempt.

This first year, and winter, I left them in pots so I could move them in and while we had a very mild winter, it was probably good I did, we had ONE night where we got to minus three, the coldest night we had had here in several winters. If the poms hadn't been inside, they would have almost assuradely been toast.

Hopefully, its another seven or eight years before it gets that cold again and the poms will be established enought to come back from it.

All in all its probably an uphill fight. But, I love pomagranates so much, I have decided to give it a whirl.

• nygardener
    17 years ago

You could also try laying some heating cables beneath the plants (test them occasionally) Â easier, in case you need to replace them, if you keep the plants in pots and sink the pots into the ground. On really cold nights, turn on the cables and, if necessary, tent the foliage.

• utsharpie
    17 years ago

you can grow almost any plant if you keep it in a container and move it inside when it gets too cold

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey guys. Well, for those with any interest in my little dilemma, the pomegranates did not do too well in late winter and early spring. I moved them outside as much and as soon as the weather would allow to give them as much light as possilbe, but, I thought they were maybe not going to make it.

However, just recently they seem to have recovered and now seem to be doing very nicely. They have started to get fuller and bigger.

Since they are still kind of in "recovery" mode this year, I think I will delay my plan to plant them in the ground until next year (at least). But, I will put them in an inside area that gets no light and not a lot of warmth (an unheated room off my garage without windows) to over winter them this year.

Thanks for the ideas and help.