Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on my plan, please :)

Posted by gardeningmomof5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 12:57

I'm new to growing under lights. But I'm sick of shelling out loads of money for seedling every spring, and I can so much more variety if I start my own!

So here is my plan, any and all opinions welcome for a newbie. Set up a aprox 3 6ft plastic tables, all pushed together. Several shop lights, with the special aquarium/growing light (saw them at home depot I think). Fashion foil around the sides, and drape clear plastic sheeting over the whole thing to create a more humid environment.

Also, unsure about a couple things. I was planning on buying the bag of organic potting mix they sell at walmart. Is that I should be using, or something with more vermiculite? And I think I read that the light should be apprx 2" above the seedlings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on my plan, please :)

Forgot to add, I'll be growing veggies, flowers and herbs (just basil). Not sure if they would need different lighting or growing medium.

o

You will find you have very strong starts and have saved a ton of money.

You are going about it in a methodical and smart way and this will help flatten the learning curve. I am excited for you as the learning phase is full of research and experimentation!

I grow all my starts to include peppers, tomatoes, herbs, etc. and they all start under shop lights in the basement.

I have several notes and even germination videos on my journal / blog below. Hope it helps. Here is a vid as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KZj2goFE

Have fun!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Growing Adventure

o

Thank you, I will check it out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here