Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here is a real basic one

Posted by triple_b BC 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 13:16

...so don't go too technical on me please! I am going to start the seeds that cannot be wintersown. Dahlia, coleus, lavender to name a few. I am also experimenting between daylily seeds that have been wintersown and those that are languishing in my fridge for their cold stratification period. So how many hours of 'daylight' should I start them with once they are sprouting? I know the days outside are not 16 hours long yet when they start growing outside in their natural climes. (or are they?) One reason why I am asking is because due to lack of opportune space, the light will be set up in our bedroom. So I guess I don't want this beacon glowing any longer than need be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here is a real basic one

• Posted by danany z6 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 16:07

Most people set their lights set to 16 hours on and 8 hours off unless the plants are daylight sensitive and need shorter hours. Keep in mind that full sun outdoors does not compare to fluorescent lighting indoors, so what is lacking in intensity you make up for in duration.

o
RE: Here is a real basic one

You don't have to have them on for 16 hours but having the light on longer can help the seedlings grow faster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here