Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterbed mattress for bottom heat?????????

Posted by gardenfreak (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 13:43

Has anyone ever used a waterbed mattress for bottom heat???? Just wondering?? I have read somewhere that people use the heater itself to put trays on, but what about the whole mattress???
If I would build a frame and put the mattress in filled partially with water and put either my pots or trays on it would that work???
Any suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterbed mattress for bottom heat?????????

You'll burn much more electricity trying to keep that big an area up to the right temp and might be tricky arranging your overhead lights. It takes much more electricity to heat all that water to the correct temp and keep it there than it does to just heat the bottom of a few seedling trays.

But if you have that many seedlings to make it worth it, yes it will work. You will still need a soil thermometer to check the temp in the soil cups - that's the advantage of just using the heating pad - it has its own thermometer attached you can just stick in the dirt. ;)

Dave

o
RE: Waterbed mattress for bottom heat?????????

Use an electric blanket. It is a lot cheaper on electricity, and will warm a lot of plants. I use one for starting my pepper seeds and it works great. Peppers need 80 degree soil to germinate, nd I usually start about 1500 or so seeds. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here