Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobby29323

Purchased a grow light today.

Bobby29323
13 years ago

I just purchased a grow light at Lowe's shortly a while ago to help with my seedlings my only problem is figuring out how to mount it, it has 2 holes in the back for mounting brackets.

Comments (12)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

A bit more of a description might make it easier to help you! Like what type of light it is, a model number, something besides "it has two holes in the back."

Mike

• Bobby29323
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a 22inch T8 fluorescent grow light made by Utilitech Inc
    I paid $16.50 for it,and the model number is GU9721-GROW-WH-I

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Bobby,

I would take it back 15 watts is not much light. At best, you will have room for only a row of plants (if they are in 4" or smaller pots). A much better choice would be a shop light.

If you are adamant about using it, you should be able to take the cover, remove the bulb and then screw it to a cabinet. You would have to use books or boxes to hold your plants so they can be lowered as they grow.

Mike

• Bobby29323
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The reason I bought it was because it was all that I could afford at the time I think they have different bulb colors for it like plain white.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Bobby,

I understand. But my grandpa had a saying - if a job is worth doing it is worth doing right. I don't mean to be critical but I hate to see you go through the efforts of trying to grow seedlings and wondering why they are not doing well.

Yet, all is not lost! Line your grow area with aluminum foil or anything that will reflect light, take the diffuser off the lamp and keep it as close to the plants as you can - it won't hurt if the leaves touch the bulb. Keep the plants in a cool spot, use very little fertilizer (avoid Nitrogen as much as you can) and don't water them unless they really need it. If you have a small fan - it doesn't have to be much stronger than what comes with a computer - mount it so it will blow a gentle breeze toward the stems. Once the temps get higher (40 degrees is fine) give them some fresh air - set them outside for a bit each day. What you want is a plant with a great root ball and strong stems.

Happy growing!

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

$16.50 is almost enough to buy 2 dual 4' T12 shop light fixtures. It would buy one dual bulb fixture and 2 bulbs from lowes.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Yesterday I have bought 2 dual 4' shop light fixtures each price at $9.5 and also bought box of 10 tubes for $12.45. I have 5-shelve 3x2 plastic rack. My only worry is 4' fixture little bigger than 3' wide rack. I not find 3' fixtures anywhere. Is that ok use to 4' fixture with 3' wide shelve or should i look for 3' fixture online. Any suggestions please?

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Tis better to have a 4' light on a 3' shelf than vice versa!

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Use some boards or paneling to extend the shelves a little if you want but with the wider lights you should get better coverage on the 3' shelves. My shelves are actually 3' and the lights cover all the angles that way.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Thank you Mike and Taz, here are some pics of completed grow light system;

Cheers -Chandra

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Looks good. Those are the same fixtures I have and are easily overdriven. The only thing needed is a ballast and a 2 wire push connector for each fixture. I lined the wall behind my shelves with mylar and also hung some up front with electrical tape on the top fixtures. Your paint will probably reflect the light good enough in the back.

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

Taz, they are working fine with their own wire plugs. I could not get why each fixtures need ballast and a 2 wire push connector for each fixture?