Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Sun System 7 - Dual Bulbs

retiredprof
15 years ago

Newbie here looking for some advice/recommendations.

I "inherited" what looks like a HID system 7 from Sun Lighting. I say "looks like" because this system has to be 7-8 years old, but was hardly ever used. It has a dual ballast with separate cords and the reflector holds a 400w MH and a 400w HPS. The HPS bulb is burned out, but I can replace.

I'm starting my own veggies from seed this year and was actually thinking about going with a fluorescent unit until I remembered that this HID set-up was sitting unused. Now it seems to make more sense to just purchase a bulb and use this. I only need to grow about 30 pepper, tom, and eggplants from seed and transplant into the garden. Is this overkill? I understand this will light approx a 5x5 area--does this sound right? How about keeping it 18-24 inches ober the seeds/plants?

Comments (4)

• hautions11
    15 years ago

retire I am currently using a 400 MH and 400 hps for 3 toms and 6-7 peppers, I used MH early and a mix of both later. Your eclectic usage will be higher, but the plants are growing at an unbelievable rate, Is the system set up to run both at the same time?? Sounds interesting. I have a few extra HPS bulbs by the way, They are just std bulbs but I will send u a couple cheap if u need any. I say go for it but be carefull of utility costs.

Larry

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Larry: Yes, the system runs both bulbs at the same time or you can just run one. This must have been a pretty "pricey" set-up initially which I why I hate to just let it sit idly. Former user was an orchid fanatic.

I just posted a new thread about the timing of seed starting using this system. I understand growth will be accelerated, and I don't want to start too early. Looking for insight about balancing "standard start times" when using a set-up like this. Check that out if you get a minute.

--Joe

• ccc1
    15 years ago

Joe,

For just starting a tray of 30 or so seedlings, I wouldn't bother with buying the bulb for the HPS light. Just the MH should be fine. The HPS puts out a lot of light, but the spectrum tends to cause stretching and is often used on full-grown plants to encourage flowering. The MH light is heavy on blue which will grow you some nice stocky plants.

If you really want to buy a bulb for the HPS light, I'd go for a Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)... It actually runs on a HPS ballast and produces a nice white light and will be brighter than your MH light, for the same amount of power. However, for just a few seedlings, I think that's overkill.

Almost forgot... Someone can correct me, but putting your seedlings 2-3' from the bulb should be about right distance for a 400W MH.

• hautions11
    15 years ago

Joe I agree the MH alone is more then enough. Did you see the info on supercropping in our inovative indoor tomato grow? With supercropping to stunt rapid growth and create stocky plants the 6-8 weeks is OK. At the most I would remove 1 week and go with 5-7 weeks.

Larry