Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunlight and Avoiding a Growlight

Posted by Spyder_Jerusalem 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 05 at 16:19

Well here is my situation and my question. Sorry but this is a bit of a newbie question:
I have a hydrosystem setup on my screened in porch.

1. I would like to know if there is a way to get more sunshine on my porch without altering the structure (no roof holes, etc.) I would like to avoid using a growlight.

2. How do I measure the amount of sunlight, how do I know if it is enough? I know that the second part of this question depends on the plant.

Thanks for any help/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunlight and Avoiding a Growlight

1. Big mirror :)

2. If you have direct sunlight on the plants, that is bright enough. Try for as many hours as possible each day. If you don't have direct sunlight then your eye is very poor at judging the brightness. Either judge by how well the plants are growing or get a light meter of some kind. You can get a very crude estimate by seeing if your camera wants to use the flash to take pictures.

o

You might want to reconsider on the 'no roof holes' thing.

A skylight would help. There's a style I've seen with mirrorized mylar on the inner sides that captures light and bounces it all over.

o

Obvious question - do you have outdoor trees, shrubs, etc. that are shading the windows that you could trim or remove? Are there window treatments you can remove? Other than that, you won't get more light without structural changes or growlights, sorry!

o

In the place of a big mirror, consider using a big sheet of aluminum foil BEHIND the plants to reflect the sunlight you do get back onto the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here