Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_ca

Which type of light for space less than 4 feet

Francesca_CA
19 years ago

I just bought a patio greenhouse that is 46 inches wide and 36 inches deep. It will only get sun a few hours a day so I want to supplement the lighting. Most fluorescents are 48 inches long and won't fit. Would I be better off using a system with 2 foot 20 watt bulbs, T5 24 watt bulbs, or a compact fluorescent bulb (and if so, what strength)? I will be growing herbs and lettuce in it and will be starting them and other vegies and annuals from seed.

Comments (11)

• sonnypippo
    19 years ago

i would say go with a few CFLs at least 42 watt, 6500K.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Except that most 42W bulbs available to the consumer are not available in 6500K...but that's ok! Plants love light no matter what and even though I always try to get dayligh/6500K lights, warmer bulbs don't seem to be a problem for plant growth or flowering.

Sam

• Goldcroft
    19 years ago

Why not try a 125w Envirolite, a powerful compact flourescent? Lot of light, little heat, low electric consumption. Easily available via mail order or in most hydro shops. There are two kinds with different spectrums for vegetation and flowering. You can also get them with a reflector - otherwise you'll have to buy a special bulb holder. In the UK the light itself is about $45 and the holder $9.

• Francesca_CA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info. Two more questions. The patio greenhouse I have opens on top for venting and so I don't think I'll be able to hang any lights from the "ceiling". I am planning to make a light stand out of PVC pipe & connectors so that a reflector can be hung off of it. How would I rig up the 42 watt bulbs?

• gawdly
    19 years ago

It all depends on the light fixture you're using. Some use clips, some use clamps, others use alternative methods. Look at all of the available incandescent bases at your local stores and maybe we can put our heads together and work it out.

Chains, ropes and other methods can be used to hang lights.

Sam

• Francesca_CA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Sam. The other question I forgot to ask last time was that I looked for the 125w envirolite and didn't find anyone selling them in the U.S. But I did find a 125w Hydrofarm system with bulb, reflector, mogul and cord for $110 on ebay. Is that a good price for this type of system or could I put one together myself for a lot cheaper? Would the 125w bulb end up working as well as 3-42 watt bulbs or would the 42 watt bulbs be better for covering a larger growing space ? (I'm brand new at this as you can tell).

• gawdly
    19 years ago

I can find plain old 80W-105W CFLS in multiple colors for quite a bit less than that. Around $30 per bulb if purchased online through a bulb seller instead of a high-end specialty shop.

These work very well for my needs, so I've never looked into the envirolites.

Sam

• watergal
    19 years ago

I believe the Envirolites have been succeeded by a newer model called the Wonderlite. I've been considering buying one for years. Some of the Orchid Forum people really like them.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Aren't wonderlights incandescent grow bulbs? I thought the Envirolite was a high output CFL bulb?

Sam

• Francesca_CA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I looked up wonderlites on the internet and this is what I found:
    "These 160 or 300 watt, reflector flood lights, are self-ballasted mercury vapor lamps that can provide both heat and ultra-violet light (even beyond the distance that limits the use of fluorescent lamps)." Provides a light spectrum that's concentrated in the blue, red and far-red wavelengths to stimulate flowering and healthy, vigorous growth. Perfect for orchids. The 160 Watt bulb lasts for 10,000 hours and is rated at 3,200 lumens. Works in a household socket . Wonderlite, clamp-on fixture with on/off switch and reflector goes for $69.00 at http://www.gardenhouse.com/wondf.asp

Thanks everyone for all your help. As an update, I've been intent on placing my patio greenhouse on my patio, but I finally realized that I should just put it in the middle of the backyard where it'll get enough sun, start my seedlings indoors, and move them to the greenhouse when it's warm enough rather than having to use supplemental light and heating in the greenhouse now.

So I have one more question. I've read that it's a good idea to have fluorescent light going 24 hours a day when the seeds are germinating and I've read that light isn't necessary until they do germinate (and then it's 12 - 16 hours/day). Do you have lights going for germination?

I decided against the hydrofarm fixture -- too heavy and expensive. Now that the seeds will be started indoors, I can use the 42 watt bulbs. I'm hesitant to use the wonderlite because the 160 watt bulb provides 3200 lumens, so that's only 20 lumens/watt and because it warms up, it probably needs to be farther away from the seedlings. I have no experience with this, so if my reasoning is off, please let me know.

This has been a great first experience on this forum. I'm so grateful for all your help.

• gawdly
    19 years ago

Wonderlights have been around forever and are incandescent bulbs. AFAIK, they're the only incandescent growlights known to do any good for plants. Since they're incandescent, they produce a goodly amount of heat as a side-effect.

Expensive, too.

Envirolights, OTOH, are fluroescent bulbs and for a time had the highest output in a CFL bulb, I think. THen knock-offs started circulating, and then they were followed up by cheaper alternatives in CFLs.

Sam