Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
npthaskell

Blue, Red, Biology, Phytochrome, Cryptochrome

npthaskell
18 years ago

Let me begin a new offshoot from the thread "Why not blue?". This new thread will discuss how lamps possessing different spectral outputs effect the biology of plants. The "why not blue?" thread is getting rather technical and non accessable to newbies (which is OK). I hope to keep this thread of interest for newbie gardeners and advanced horticulturalists alike.

By lamps, I include incadescents, fluorescents, metal halide, high pressure sodium, LEDs, and any new fangled invention that may be out there. Solar and filtered solar is also included

By biology, I mean leggy seedlings, premature bolting or internode length; as mediated by the red sensor phytochrome and the blue sensor cryptochrome. Since I grow leafy veggies, I consider bolting as a "negative", so I want to delay flowering. Others on this list want to speed up flowering and increase its extent; discussion of light color from this "positive" perspective is also welcome in this thread.

I would like to exclude the effect of color spectrum on photosynthesis per se, and leave that in the old thread "Why not blue?". I probably want to exclude photoperiod as well; this is covered in other threads.

To get everyone up to speed, let me repost a link first posted in "why not blue?", where solar light is filtered with dyes or colored plastic films.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson Colored Filters

Comment (1)