Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice - grow light for wintering plants

Posted by tulley (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 19:27

Hello all!

I had a friend send me a plumeria cutting, and a white ginger root. I planted them, but sadly I have NO good light in my home. I need some help for the winter months when they have to live inside.

Could any of you suggest a grow light I can buy? Nothing huge . . maybe just a little one that clips on the side of the pot? How many hours a day does it need to be on?

Thank you all SO MUCH for your expertise and help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice - grow light for wintering plants

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 8:57

Greetings. You need but to Google GROW LIGHTS and you will find a wealth of information that will help you.

o

Maybe this can be more helpful, Tulley: read through this forum - I am new to all this as well, and have scoured this forum for useful tips. I am going to install ordinary shoplights to add some light during the winter months. I am also considering compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's) that you can pop into a regular lamp fixture and use it as a spot for a single plant or two. There are many very technical threads here, but also many simple and straightforward ones - just take some time to read through - I am glad I did!
Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful ideas here re. lighting inside

o

Check this thread as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing under lights

o

-- "Greetings. You need but to Google GROW LIGHTS and you will find a wealth of information that will help you."

To Google something, is of course my first step with anything. I however, found the information a bit overwhelming, and why I came here to ask the experts.

And Anna, thank you SO much for the direct link. I have gone through these forums but . . it seems like all the lights discussed are the big, what I call 'shop lights'. I don't have any room what-so-ever for such a rig. I just wanted a little light I can clip on the side of a pot.

I did find these 'grow lights', called 'Agrosun Dayspot Incandescent 150W Bulb'. From what I'm gathering, I can use them to help over-winter my two little plants.

o

You're welcome! And the Agrosun is an option, although I've not seen it discussed much here, which makes me wonder. But, the CFL version is mentioned often, and it can provide the kind of "spotlight" you need as those bulbs can be used in any lamp fixture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here