Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green tomatoes

Posted by Andys_Garden 08902 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 19:53

Probably an easy question for the forum but here goes:

My tomato plants have beautiful green tomatoes-- the problem is they have been green for over a month! I am using conventional fluoescent lights with a 12 hr on/off cycle. Is the use of conventional fluorescent lights the problem? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green tomatoes

I believe that fruit ripening is heavily influenced by the carotenoids. These are most responsive to blue light, around 450nm-550nm. Your fluorescents may be giving you too much red and not enough blue. Try looking for a higher kelvin rating, such as a 6500K or "daylight" bulb.

o

• Posted by cbars z5b6a MO (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 3, 05 at 11:19

Ambient temperature is also important. Ripening occurs best if temps are 75+ in the room. If the area is 50-60, ripening will be very slow.

Gary

o

Tomatoes can be made to ripen by putting them in a paper bag with an apple. Alternatively, pack them in newspaper in boxes with a few apples. Apples emit a gas that ripens fruit, including tomatoes. We have to do that in this country because very few tomatoes ripen on plants grown outdoors.

o

Sounds like the problem is your light source. Fluoescent light is ok for seedlings and vegin' but to produce nice big fruit indoors you need an HID and a good reflector. Check the Philips ceramic metal halide,(CRI 85) or the hortilux Blue (CRI 92). Both are white light that are excellent for both stages of growth. These bulbs produce better blues and reds than combining a HPS and a MH....Both are realitively new on the market in the higher wattages, and the things you can frow under them is amazing....Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here