Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here's proof that T-5 florescent grow lights work!

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 20:10

I'm amazed at how well plumeria plants bloom under these grow lights. This picture shows the best mid-winter blooms I've seen yet since growing plumerias under grow lights for two years.

Photobucketyear.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here's proof that T-5 florescent grow lights work!

Beautiful flowers. I've always promoted T5's. Are you using High-Output T5's or the regular variety? I prefer H-O's at 54 Watts/Bulb for both functionality and price. Are you using any supplemental sunlight, or have you learned how to grow completely under grow lights?

o

Hi yucatan. Yes, they are the HO T-5 lights. I put the plumeria outside June through mid September. After that, it's too cold in our high mountain valleys. They go back inside under the grow lights. They get no sunlight the rest of the year.

o

Nice. May I ask which unit you are using, and how many bulbs the unit has? What is your mix of 6500k/3000k?

o

Here's pictures of two different light fixtures. The flat fixture has 8 working bulbs, one half 6500k and one half 3000k. The other fixture is curved (concave) with the lights closer to each other, but only have 6 working lights since I could not get the other two outside lights hooked up right for some reason. These light fixtures put out a lot of heat (notice the leaf tip burn on one leaf). My basement room is totally heated by these lights and the temperature stays between 72 and 80 degrees.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Nice set up. That's alot of light!

o

It appears you are getting good canopy penetration. This was my concern for peppers or tomatoes.

HO T5 seems to be the most efficient from what I can tell. What kind of jump in your electrical bill did you see?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hydroponic Journal and Adventure

o

halfway, I'm not sure how much my electrical bill jumped, but I'm guessing about $15.00 per month, which I believe is well worth it. I have an 8 bulb (54-watt each) T-5 HO fixture, a 6 bulb T-5 HO fixture, and two regular old fashion T-8 (I believe), fat 40 watt bulb fixtures with two wide spectrum plant bulbs in each one. Enough wattage to heat the basement room to 80 degrees without any other heat source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here