Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

WHERE is your light set up?

SunshineZone7
9 years ago

I was wondering where you all have your light set up? Do you have it "hidden" in a basement or room no one really sees? Or do you have it in a family room or dining room out on display? If you have it out where people see it, do you try to make it look pretty?

Would love to see some pictures. I have used clamp lights to start my seeds for 2 seasons and I am ready for a more serious set up.

Comments (10)

• thedudefrom1976
    9 years ago

I just made a post I started a grow closet in my man cave/computer room with a pic. Title is suggestions for my new veg closet.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

Its in my basement.

{{gwi:2127896}}

• emilytroutman
    9 years ago

In my craft room (3rd bedroom). I just bought and assembled my lights this weekend. My house doesn't have a bonus room, basement, or utility room where I can put the lights, and my garage is too cold this time of year. I would rather have it somewhere a little more out of the way, but it is what it is!

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yardenman, I like your set up! What lights are you using?

emilyt85, that sounds good :) I fear if I put the set up in the basement I will not be as attentive to my seedlings/plants. Though if I put them in my dining room I have to make it look really pretty. So I closed off 3rd bedroom (which I do not have) sounds perfect!

• rachel67
    9 years ago

Hello,

Last year I had a freestanding steel shelving unit (Lowes) with shop lights, similar to Yardenman, tucked in the corner of my dining room (southern exposure). I originally thought the basement or a cooler back room but I was afraid they might get forgotten or something. The thermostat sits at 60 degrees for the most part so they didn't get overly warm and I used the silver mylar (runner's blanket) to deflect light back on them. I LOVED growing them within daily eye sight and watching the progress. I had great success with my set up and can hardly wait to start again this year.

• ThatShabbyGuy
    9 years ago

Just started this year. Starting tropical milkweed, hollyhock, pansies, black eyed susans, and a few others under t8s in my closet. Planning to move them to my shop upstairs but I need to build something to enclose them in so they stay warm.

I had been thinking of an indoor greenhouse and I like the shelf set up that is pictured above. Concerned about light getting to the plants though and might switch to a better light source rather than t8s

• ontheteam
    9 years ago

I am fortunate enough to have a second "kitchen" upstairs in my house. The "Kitchen" was part of an illegal 2 family when we brought the house. Its upstairs with 2 bedrooms and a large hall almost the size of a bed room...
    We re did most of the house but kept the second kitchen that has deck and stairs to the outside as a plant room. I have my light rack..4 tier grow light cart in there, Its perfect with the linoleum floor and the sink in there I can sweep up lost soil and water plants. Right now I have 2 trays of geraniums seeds starting

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Just about everywhere I can find some space. In 2 small bedrooms - shelves by the windows + shop lights; basement - shelves and table + shop lights and CFL's in strip light fixtures set-up.
    Some, unfortunately, without supplemental lights. Just the windows.
    Rina

• yardenman
    9 years ago

SunshineZone7, the top 2 light fixtures are 4 bulb units. The lower two are 2 2-bulb units. If I were to built the stand again, I would recommend the 2 2-bulb units spread a few inches apart. Better lighting that way.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

And yes, you CAN forget the plants in the basement. But you can forget them outside too. I have trash pickup twice a week. So every trash day, I water the plants.

And of course, I have a timer on my lights (set at 14 hours lighting per day) so I don't have to worry about that!