Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjcore

electronic timer and fluorescent lights

gjcore
14 years ago

Is there a problem using an electronic timer with fluorescent lights? I've heard some things about there being spikes in current when the timer flips off/on that can damage the ballast and/or the lights. I'm planning on having a surge protector between the timer and the lights. Generally I have a 4 to 8 4-foot bulbs running at once.

Comments (9)

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I've used a couple for three years and never had any problems.

Mike

• grow-anything
    14 years ago

There could be some "line interference" from the lights. That might cause the timer to malfunction, but should not be a problem for the light itself. You may want to use a mechanical timer for them if that is a concern. Through the years I have used both for my aquarium lighting and seed starting with no problems.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

All the timers I've used have mechanical switches that are no more apt to produce "spikes" than a wall switch. Of course, I am ignorant of new fangled timers.

• jedi1776
    14 years ago

I have had problems with electronic timers and controls. My Radio Shack plug in power (x10 system with their name slapped on it) remote timer will shut the lights off, but they will kick back on in less than a second. I think it has something to do with the balast discharging back into the line. If you haven't bought your timer or control yet, just get a mechanical one, they're cheaper and easier to set in my opinion and generally have a higher current capacity than electronic.

• grow-anything
    14 years ago

X10 devices,like Radio Shacks, are know to have problems with florescent lights. It is well documented everywhere and from the sources that sell them. The simple digital on/off timers don't have any of the problems associated with X10 controllers and devices. The X10 signal produced by the controller is not reliable for use with florescent lights in most circumstances.

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I use one probably similar to strews'. When the right time is reached, it trips a switch that either makes or breaks a connection, just like a light switch does.

Extremely cheap, long lasting and effective.

Mike

• gjcore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the information. I decided to go out and buy a mechanical timer. I suppose I'll return this electronic timer to Lowe's unless I can find another use for it.

• penfold2
    14 years ago

I think the consensus was that electronic timers are fine, and X10 devices may have problems. I use an electronic timer with my fluorescents and they work perfectly.

• gjcore
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to use both timers. I do like the simplicity of the mechanical timer. I bet it will last longer than the electronic one. I haven't busted the electronic one out of it's plastic yet but my thinking is to use that timer for seasonal seedlings and fans.