Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedudefrom1976

Suggestions for my new veg closet

thedudefrom1976
9 years ago

So I finally decided to start my seedlings on shop lights this year instead of my usual window sill, outside a few hours then back in. My wife was getting annoyed at all the plant trays everywhere. Also it was a challenge keeping the seedlings from getting leggy from too little sun exposure, not to mention bringing plants in and out at certain times of day and weather. Also here in NY we have such a small window for growing I want to be ahead of everything before hand.

I'm suburban homesteading on 2.4 acres with about 75x150 being plant-able somewhat sunny location. My plan is to start almost everything inside way in advance to get a head start and be able to stagger planting for several harvests. I'm not planning on flowering anything in here unless that's also possible?

I have started with 2 T8 shop lights from home depot with 2 32 watt 6400k lights in each. I also have a T5 with 2 54 watt bulbs from my aquarium (failed planted tank attempt). The T5 doesnt really have any place to hang chains so I need advice on that for mounting.

The closet is about 4.25 feet wide and about 5'8 high to the highest shelf (which I want for storage).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

So far I've started:
Turnips, Brussel Sprouts, Onoins, Lettuce, Strawberrys,Blueberrys, Zolushka Potatoes, Collards and asparagus. Some have sprouted while others take longer. I have some flowers in there as well for giggles.

Comments (6)