Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

Questions regarding HID reflectors

yellowthumb
15 years ago

I am looking for a reflector for my 400w MH system. Lots of reflectors come with lens or temper glasses but at the mean time air cooled. I am not so sure I would need the temper glass or lens, but for the sake of safety, I wish I could have it optional in case I need it later. My question is: Can I run the air cooled reflectors such as Silver Star SLIM and Hydrofarm Radiant reflector without using any fans? Of course, I wouldn't use the lens if I don't use the fans. Or the fan is a must to have. The inline fan is insanely expensive. Well above 200 dollars.

Much appreciated for any thoughts.

YT

Comments (5)

• rokal
    15 years ago

yellowthumb,

You can run the Hydrofarm Radiant reflector without the safety glass and fan. If you do so, you should buy a lamp that is open rated.

Regards,

Rokal

• chrisrintz
    15 years ago

yellowthumb - i have the hydrofarm radiant reflector and run both 400w MH and HPS with no fan and the glass installed. Ihave found that I can move the light much closer to the canopy if I keep the glass installed. By installing the duct flange, the heat expels easier from the enclosure. The side benefit is that the bulb and reflector surface remains free from dust, pollen, fingerprints, etc.

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answers.

Rokal, may I ask where I can get open rated bulbs? I can
    t find them, most of the grow light bulbs are not open rated.

Chrisrintz, I am very interested with your setup. But if you install the glass without using a fan, how hot it can get inside the glass? I am concerned about the bulb maybe overheating.

• chrisrintz
    15 years ago

I have found that as long as I have installed the duct fitting, the heat will definitely find it's way out. Remember that the heat will rise, and exit the enclosure with little effect on the air temp around the bulb. I generally have a fan moving air over my grow, and I like to make sure a little of the breeze catches the enclosure as well. The manufacturer provides a UL listing for the enclosure with glass installed and no fan for HPS, and i have noted that the MH does burn a bit hotter, but both bulbs have been used for close to a year now and still produce clean and bright light. I also have a Sunlight Supply Yield Master II Supreme, which I like better (broader coverage and pebbled reflector) that has a 6" end mounted vent that is cool to the touch no matter what I burn. BGHydro has the best prices I have found.

Depending on what you are growing, it is nice to be able to get the fixture as close to the plants as you can. With glass i can be as close as 8" without burning the leaves - my tomatoes love it! Good luck!!

• rokal
    15 years ago

yellowthumb,

I have an Ushio pulse start metal halide bulb (requires a pulse start ballast) which I purchased from either lightbulbemporium or bulbster.

Regards,

Rokal

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting