Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceramic metal halide

Posted by shoofly22 wi. (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 21:22

where could i get these at a reasonable price ?
are these the same light as a hps with a different bulb ?
i would like to try to grow tomatos and peppers year round.
jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceramic metal halide

If you are near Milwaukee try http://www.altgarden.com/site/retail stores/stores.html

If you aren't using a digital ballast you may need to buy a ballast that works with CMH.

o

high pressure metal halide lights aka ceramic halides are meant to be used with core and coil SODIUM ballasts, not digital ballasts, which would void the warranty on both bulb and ballast. this said, they're almost as good as the sunpulse pulse start bulbs, which are designed specifically to be used with true-digital ballasts

o

Since I am slow and care full, I will ask straight out.
Is a CMH light the same as a metal halide light? I search for CMH and get very little, but find many metal halide ones.
In other words, the stores sell metal halide, but every one recomends ceramic metal halide (CMH).

o

CMH lights are meant to be used in an HPS fixture/ballast. They are a hybrid between HPS and MH. You can't run a CMH in a MH system.

o

So, I have an interchangeable ballast between MH and HPS. I grow bonsai and want vegetative growth. Would MH or CMH be the better choice? Not just for the plants but energy consumption too.

o

you are better off getting the pulse start venture metal halide uni-form with very wide spectrum light which looks just like natural sunlight. it has very high lumens and the spectral output is excellent for plant growth. i order mine from plantlightinghydroponics in indiana. they are very good. go on the venture site, pick the lamp you want and send them an email asking for it, and they will get it for you. ceramic metal halide is now quite old technology, and the uni-form pulse start is the way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here