Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pics of your unique lighting setups & short descrption

Posted by poncirusguy Z-6b : AHS-7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 22:26

I would like to see pics of your inexpensive lighting setups with a short description of Its use.

2 foil lined 5 gallon buckets with 5300K 18 watt CFL
3:  KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--CENTER IS TWO BUCKETS LINED WITH ALUMINUM & FITTED WITH AN 18 WATT BULB. TO THE RIGHT  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN TO SUCK OUT EXCESS WATER photo IMG_3594_1_zps3a25afac.jpg
Meiwa kumquat tree from seed fits in twin buckets where it get light and the temperature is 15 degrees warmer and more humid.

Fig tree with both lower and upper foil lined buckets fitted with bulb to provide warmth and light to the inclosed tree photo IMG_3354_zpse75d8db4.jpg
Fig tree inside grows at an inch per week.

4 FT by 4 FT with 12 CFL's at 5300k and 18 watts
new taller box 3.5 ft tall photo IMG_3615_1_zpse9a31009.jpg
12 pepper plant in 5 gallon buckets. Fresh pepper by 3/1/2013

16 broccoli plant under 8 CFL's with my meiwa kumquat's root base hanging inside getting its roots warmed to 80-F
4)---16 brocoli plant in 1 gal. cans under 8 lights of 650 lumens, Above, Meiwa kumquat tree's roots are warmed by lights to 85 deg. photo IMG_3691_zpsd744827b.jpg6)---This shows the Meiwa tree with it's light bucket over it photo IMG_3694_zps4151a1ee.jpg
full view of broccoli and kumquat tree in double light bucket

3 story grow box for trees, vegetable's, and starts.
2 story grow box with citrus and veggies growing photo IMG_4916_zps4999f440.jpg
picking beet green from the floor level, Citrus, kumquat, sour cherry and M111 apple rootstock trees on the 2nd floor with the citrus sweetlee tangerines passing into the third level

nearly 100 starts of broccoli,  brussel sprout,  cabbage,, collards, kale, turnips, photo IMG_4923_zpsf5da96ef.jpg
Starts in 14 OZ plastic cups hanging from nails under lights on 2nd & 3rd floor

Seeds getting their start in a sealed chamber
seed sprouter in forced air heating duct photo IMG_4968_zpsb52d718f.jpg
closed container in furnace heating duct being warmed to 95 F

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pics of your unique lighting setups & short descrption

If I could dedicate a whole room to doing this I would definitely steal some ideas from your post. Though your setup appears significantly more and serious there are plenty of good ideas presented.

My setup is more 'hobbyist' and that's how I intend to keep it for now.

o

I made this set-up based on one in a you-tube video. It was fairly inexpensive and uses two 100-watt-equivalent CFL bulbs in the daylight range. Those are 23 watt each. I hung it from a shelf on my plant stand.

The peppers, fig cuttings, and flower seedlings are growing nicely under it.

I taped aluminum foil on the ends with the shiny side inward, to reflect more light to the plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog post on CFL grow light project

This post was edited by Bear_With_Me on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 17:39

o

Light fixtures from Mallard's tied to the backs of some spare chairs. Two warm & two cool 48" T12's mixed together - growing seedlings to be transplanted outside as soon as it's warm enough - tomatoes, kale, lettuce, spinach, herbs. Fixtures + bulbs cost about $50.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here