Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phillips 400w HID bulb

Posted by mshaffer z7 Fairfax,VA (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 22:28

Just bought this on ebay, strange bulb, I haven't seen any other metal halides like it except the Master Colors. The box says made in 1995. I'm glad I found it though since I don't have a reflector, should be easy to setup. Was only $15.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phillips 400w HID bulb

mshaffer,

That is an interesting bulb. It ought to work great as a growlight because the bulb has it's own reflector which directs the light - 120,000 initial lumens - as the Philips literature says.

Download philips_2003a.pdf from www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/ commercial/pdfs/hid_lamps/philips_2003a.pdf for information on the lamp.

The lamp is a MH400/RSP which is a 400w Protected Metal Halide lamp that does NOT require an enclosed fixture, or a reflector since it is already has one internally. This allows it to direct a LOT of light in one direction, hence the high lumen rating, I suppose. It does require a standard 400w MH ballast.

Zink

o

Fascinating. I've seen the design before, but never more than 175W. Regular price for this is nearly $80.

The 120,000 number in the specs is actually candle-power, indicating the high directed light intensity. MBCP stands for maximum beam candle power. Initial lumens are comparable to regular 400W metal halides (30-odd thousand lumens), even a little lower, but you don't have to worry about reflector losses.

o

There is a small "typo" in Zink's link that gave me a little trouble; I reposted a fixed version.

I assume that the lamp is on the 10th page of the pdf document (ie., page 91 of the original version).

Here is a link that might be useful: philips_2003a.pdf

o

Yes, interesting bulb...

o

Got it setup, pretty bright.. just hope it doesn't burn the leaves. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here