Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiekim76

fluorescent vs. full spectrum fluorescent

debbiekim
18 years ago

hi everyone,

i have sort of a dumb question...

is there any difference between regular fluorescent lights that you can buy at any target/kmart/walmart type store and full-spectrum fluorescent grow lights?

thanks!

Comments (9)

• npthaskell
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Walmart has a GE "sunshine" tube (in the orange cardboard sleeve) that is a relatively cheap full spectrum bulb. Some full spectrum bulbs have a little more UV thrown in (for detailed spectra, see the "Lamps & UV issues" thread). A detailed article is linked below (it has a spectrum of the GE bulb [or equivalent] compared to an expensive Full Spectrum bulb).

Here is a link that might be useful: RPI Lighting Research Center

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Is there a difference? Yes.

Do you care? Good question :) Depends what you want to use them for. Read the article for the full answer. Short answer: "full-spectrum" tells you nothing and costs a lot of money.

The GE 'Sunshine' bulbs are the Chroma 50 which has long been recognised as a very good sensibly-priced widely-available plant light. Some people think it looks a little "yellow", which I guess it does in the same way that the sun is yellow.

• debbiekim
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for your help!

• lachase
    15 years ago

I just saw two seemingly identical tube lights at Walmart. One was labled for undercounter use, one as a grow light. The grow light was priced higher. I actually emailed the company to ask the difference, but so far, no reply. I was wondering if just a regular tube light would work as well for seed starting. As far as this product, I couldn't even see any difference, except for marketing, label, and price.

• Karen Pease
    15 years ago

If there's any difference, it's probably designed to give off more red and blue light, less yellow and green. Which means more plant growth without any extra power consumption. But it's good to check to find out whether that's the case or not.

• brooz
    15 years ago

Zink - you answered the question I just asked in the begonia forum. Thank you!

• jajm4
    15 years ago

It would be great if the really good info could be re-posted in the FAQ so it would be easy to find when new people come along. It can be hard to find things that were posted years ago, buried under many many pages of information that may not be relevant to the current question.

• rob_thompson
    14 years ago

Be sure to buy a high lumen output bulb, not the energy saver bulbs that are most common now days. For four-foot fluorescents, these would be the ones with over 3000 lumens initial output. Buy the DAYLIGHT bulbs with 3050 lumens (available from Lowes) if you can find them -- I've compared them to regular (high-lumen) Cool White bulbs and they produce subtantially less "leggy" seedlings (due to their cooler, more "blue" 6500 degree Kelvin color temperature).