Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivid_dawn

ceiling lights work?

vivid_dawn
11 years ago

I would like to keep a small indoor vegetable garden going through winter months. I live in the basement of my dad's house. The room I would like to grow plants in only has a small window (maybe 2 square feet). There are fluorescent lights in the ceiling that light up the room pretty well. I wonder if I got the right spectrum, could I grow potted veggies in my room? The other room does have a patio door which lets in lots of light, but it's also very drafty and never gets above 60F in the winter, which I don't think would be good for the plants (unless I got a heat mat, I guess). My room is a good 70F, as I'm a wimp with cold ;)

I've been looking at tiered light shelves, but they're kind of expensive...the cheapest is about $300 and I would want several.

http://www.gardeners.com/T-5-Light-Garden-3Tier/39-357,default,pd.html

Even if I did a DIY kind, I'd still have to buy bulbs...I'd rather just buy the ceiling bulbs for the whole room and not mess with constructing stuff. I have plenty of shelves now such as bookshelves, desks, cabinets, etc...I figure if I just turn/rotate the plants on a regular basis, they could get enough light.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts