Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyguthriefan

Woody's philosophy

woodyguthriefan
16 years ago

Originally, I thought it would be good for our global community and my family to grow an indoor vegetable garden; however, I've been having some second thoughts the last several months when the G & E bill comes. I've come to decide that to grow inside, under lights, is to pay the G & E Co. for electricity instead of paying some farmers for their crops. I think it is best to put the crops outside and hope for an early spring. Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

• west9491
    16 years ago

yeh, sounds like some high costs to be self sufficient, kinda defeats the purpose if ya ask me

• watergal
    16 years ago

Growing veggies indoors may be fun, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to make it cost effective. From a carbon output standpoint, as well, I think patronizing your local farmers is probably the best choice.

• zink
    16 years ago

Woody,

The current rate charged by Louisvile Gas & Electric for power is $0.06356 per kilowatt/hour. That means that using 1000 watts for one hour costs 6.356 cents.

Therefore, consuming 1000 watts for 12 hours costs 76 cents (or $0.76). (1000 x 12 x $0.06356)

For an example, a standard 400watt metal halide ballast, which actually consumes 458watts (ballast losses) would cost you $10.48 a month, if it is used for 12 hours a day.

FYI, just like nearly every other residential homeowner in the US, LG&E uses meters that register only TRUE POWER, not APPARENT POWER. If you have ballasts that have a "low power factor", that means the ballasts have a consumption component called REACTIVE POWER which does not register on the electrical meter. As for the environmental impact, LG&E does have to generate that extra REACTIVE POWER, but LG&E pays for the "low power factor", not you.

Also, what you may not know is that, if possible, most electric companies will ALWAYS generate quite a bit more power than they need to, which is to cover any sudden unexpected surges in consumption that could cause them trouble. I toured one of the the LG&E plants for a National Electric Code class at UofL.

Zink

• lermer
    16 years ago

(Lermer) If you vent the grow room into the rest of the house, you get a double use of the electricity; first as light for the plant, then as heat for the house. In the summertime, grow outside.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I should think that unless you are a professional or unless you have a very rare plant then growing for economic reasons would be ill advised. Grow for the fun of it and if you can eat your product that is just an added incentive.