Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Tree Seedling Growing: 6500K all the way?

Posted by FeedMeSeymore none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 1:25

I just purchased a T12 fixture with two 40w Daylight 2900 lumen 6500K lamps. My Acer Rubrum (red maple) seedlings are a range from newborn - two months old. Do I NEED to have a warm color lamp in the ballast or is that just for fruits and veggies?

Also, what do you think about getting a black light bulb as well? Maybe throw some black velvet in the pot for mulch? ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Tree Seedling Growing: 6500K all the way?

Blue light is generally recommended for growth of foliage, and red light for fruiting/flowering.

Any plant, maybe with some rare exceptions, will grow under either blue or red alone, but blue will generally give them the most opportunity to produce foliage and growth, if compared to an equivalent amount of red light; lumen for lumen

Your trees being so young, I think would benefit the most from blue light, just as youve set up.

o
RE: Indoor Tree Seedling Growing: 6500K all the way?

Thanks for the advice, Cherokee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here