Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mykneff

Greenhouse in the Arctic.

MykNeff
11 years ago

I will be putting up a Riga greenhouse. It will be 14ft by 20ft. I will have a couple of Dwarf fruit trees as well as Veggies. My question since we have very little sunlight in the winter, actually for two months there will be no direct sunlight hitting the greenhouse. I create my own electricity, so power consumption is a major factor. Are LED lights my answer? I am planning on the 90w UFO. And would like to know if anyone out there knows how many I would need to supply enough light to use every square inch of space. Or does anyone out there have a better Idea?

Comments (3)

• dowlinggram
    11 years ago

Inuvik has a community greenhouse in the arctic. Your questions might be better put to them. You can contact them at the address below. Sorry if the e-mail does not come through as clickable.

greenhouse@permafrost.com
    Coordinator
    Inuvik Community Greenhouse
    Box 1544
    Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0

• marklucas
    11 years ago

You can refer to the cross-country arctic greenhouses. These are covered with 16mm polycarbonate. It helps the grower with their superior heat retention, light diffusion and strength. You can maintain the required heat in your greenhouse in northern climate.

• markcogwell
    11 years ago

Unbelievable. How can you grow your plants in low temperature. I think you faced lots of problem for growing plants and you should go with high Voltage LED light.