Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please tell me I did not make a mistake to buy this fixture!

Posted by rinomanfroni (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 3:58

I just bought this 2-light flood light:

Maxim 2-light Flood Light

I have also just bought two CFL light bulbs: one is 6500K and the other is 2700k. Do you think it will be good if I put it on top of a Hoya potted plant that I have hanging on the wall? Is it functional? I was looking for a good-looking fixture that I can put on top of the plant because it is going to be in my living room.

This is how my pot is placed:
My Hoya Pic

Thanks!

Rino

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please tell me I did not make a mistake to buy this fixture!

Well one thing I don't like is that the inside of the fixture looks to be painted black. That will absorb a lot of light rather than reflect it. If the fixture is placed close enough to the plant, it may still work, but you won't get as much total light. Also, I would use 6500K for both bulbs. Having two different light sources right next to each other would look strange, and daylight bulbs are better for plants anyways.

o

Hoyas don't need much light to bloom. I know because my neighbor's grew and bloomed 6 ft. from a window without artificial light.

You are obviously doing this for cosmetic reasons because your choices are as practical as jewelry.

o

Can you return the fixture? For one thing the fixture is designed to aim the light out to the side so it would look strange if you turned the reflectors inward to aim at the plant if they are even adjustable. A single reflector fixture would probably look better. And as someone else said they are painted black which will absorb a lot of the light. Plus $26 plus any shipping seems kind of expensive to me. In fact looking at most online light bulb and fixture sellers their prices tend to be on the high side, especially if you have to include shipping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here