Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to start an indoor garden

Posted by ZheGreenBeek Nebraska (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 5:41

I am interested in starting a garden indoor, when it gets nice out I do plan on putting the plants outside but I would really like to start indoors and soon. So what I am looking to do here is grow some tomatoes for sure, then hopefully some spinach, carrots, peppers maybe some radishes.
I have one window I could put plants in front of but I'm thinking it won't be enough, so I'm looking for some information on what kind of lights I should purchase. I was looking on amazon but I'm just super confused now lol!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to start an indoor garden

Hi ZheGreenBeek and welcome to GardenWeb!

Yeah, when searching the web, for lighting recommendations for plants (or anything else for that matter), the information you find will likely deviate quite a bit :-)

I don’t grow veggies (just flowers) but I know that spinach, carrots, and radishes are cool season crops. So, I’m pretty sure they would require less light than tomatoes and peppers.

What kinds of light to use would depend, at least partly, on how many seedlings you intend to grow. You can get quite a few seedlings under four foot fluorescent lights. Less seedlings under CFL’s but much more concentrated light. About how many plants are you figuring on growing?

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here