Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waterbed heater

Posted by kaysbelle z5IL (kaysbelle@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 8:54

I was given a waterbed heater to start seeds. My question is this: I plan on putting the heater on a metal shelf. Should I put a pad under it and should I put a pad or metal shelf over it before setting my pots on it. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waterbed heater

well i used it great sucess, but the label said don't use unless water bed in full. So I lined a box with rubber roofing that I had with the heater under the rubber, I put water in it then bricks to set my seed boxes on, it worked great. The idea is that if the heater can't dissapate enough heat it will burn up (electrically) or shut off. I was thinking of putting under just bricks this year. will be setting it up this weekend. So to answer you question is its hard to say whether that would work or that it would be safe, If you get advice and you have a problem with it and you are not following the directions then there could be a problem. I am not saying that it won't work and I am struggling with it myself. so if anyone has used them dry please let me know. I am pretty sure it has to do with heat transfer and overtemp. but have not seen any data on that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here