Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car Sunshade To Reflect Light?

Posted by dougdecinces Indiana (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 9:14

I have a few dozen plants growing under lights right now. It's crowding up my single fluorescent light setup, and I'm looking for ways to reflect/maximize light. My first idea was one of those reflective accordion car shades you put in windshields. It's cheap, it'd be roughly the same size, and it's something I can use over and over.

Of course, I'm still new to this whole game, so I'm open to any suggestions for making my fluorescent light setup more effective.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions-111106-Max-Reflector-Standard/dp/B000CAINDE/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1298642586&sr=1-8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car Sunshade To Reflect Light?

I think most people (including myself) use mylar. It comes in rolls that can be cut to any size, and is cheaper per square foot than car sunshades. I got mine from a local hydroponics shop, but you can buy it online from any number of places.

o

I watch for the emergency thermal blankets to go on clearance. They are strong mylar and very cheap.

Way cheaper than buying mylar at the hydro store. I think I may have enough to cover a warehouse, LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Hydroponic Adventure

o

That most likely is mylar covered cardboard. Mylar can be found fairly cheap at hobby and party stores. It's the same stuff fancy balloons are made from.

o

I DO use auto shades.... but I got them in the fall on clearance for like a dollar each..

o

I use car sunshade to reflect light to making my fluorescent light setup more effective.
but my car sunshade material is silver nylon instead of the bubble car sunshade.
i think the link you show is bubble sunshade,
both the silver nylon sunshade and bubble sunshade can reflect light, but silver nylon car sunshade is more durable.
•This"Satin silver collapsible fabric auto sunshade"made of 190T Polyester with Silver reflective Coating to relfect light.
•silver reflective surface and black backside for virtually 100% sun reflect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a link of silver nylon car sunshade

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here