Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Temperature of garage too cold?

pippi21
14 years ago

I'm considering buying supplies to set up for Growing under lights in my garage next year, thinking it might be something to get hubby interested and wile away the long winter. It's 35 degrees out in garage now. I've been trying to convince my husband for us to do indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor for looks and warmth. Do you think that would make enough of a difference? We insulated the walls of the garage when we moved here and put up drywall and storage cabinets. There is a lot of cold air that comes into the gable vents and the ceiling rafters are open. Maybe if we enclosed the ceiling which would be a big job that we couldn't do but would have to hire somebody to do, that would help. We use those rafters for storage. Have plywood laid on the rafters. We could probably use a heater but there wouldn't be room with the two vehicles in there. What should the indoor temperature be for Growing under the lights?

Comments (13)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

You'd have to get that temp up at least 20*. Bare minimum for most plants(to actively grow)is 55-60F and some will fail at those temps. You would have to enclose it completely and add a heater to do any good.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

pippi21,

Have you considered using one of those "pop-up" greenhouses inside the garage? If you used one of those, you could create a micro-environment inside that that would be a much more suitable temp, just using the light set-up and heating mats. (the 4 shelf options, are what I am thinking.)

Heating mat on the bottom level to start the seeds. On the second level, the seedlings could be under fluorescent lights. On the third level, and fourth level the same. The warm loving plants would go on the very top, and all the extra heat from the heating mats and ballasts would rise and keep those plants the happiest.

Each succeeding level would also help to provide the "warm feet" plants prefer, while keeping the air cooler for hardier plants.

Basically what I am describing would be an enclosed version of the setup made by "grow-anything" in the thread from the grow from seed forum.

Best wishes...

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with information that might be useful...

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

EG,

I would go the opposite way - put the heat mat at the top to aid in germination, then put seedlings at the bottom. That will help them to become bushier, whereas having them at the top, where the heat is, will lead to longer stems.

YMMV,

Mike

I do not endorse or condone any links or pop-up ads this site may add to my posts and think it is completely wrong. If you agree, please express your thoughts.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

Mike,

The thinking was because of the low ambient temp of the garage. If the interior is only holding around 45-50 degrees at the top, when the garage is at 35 degrees, then tomatoes might not be happy anywhere but the top. However, as the season progresses and the temp in the garage rises, a time will come to reverse it.

It all depends on what temp the interior of the shelving unit can maintain at the different levels when the garage is 35 degrees.

I agree with your final statement as well. I tried the "Opt-out" link, but it hasn't worked yet!

I do not endorse or condone any links or pop-up ads this site may add to my posts and think it is completely wrong. If you agree, please express your thoughts.

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

@pippi21, I have a grow room in my garage. I could tell you about it, how well it holds the heat and only costs $100 to build, or I can just show you. The advantage of having links. This video shows two types of indoor garden rooms. One room is store bought and the other is homemade. They both will work great for your situation and you won't have to enclose the ceiling.

@wordwiz and eagles garden, I understand about the pop up ad's, but links? Especially if they help describe your post better. How could that be "completely wrong"? Anyway, here's my link to my garage grow room video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Garden Garage grow room

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

UGF,

If I want to add them, fine. But the links are an obnoxious addition to my message. And I have no control over what the link is - it could be to a site (Reimer's Seed, for instance) that I detest.

Mike

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

To stay on topic, nice layout.

Now, to the comments regarding the ads:

I have no problem with the links that I had to my posts. In fact they are very effective, because it's easier than trying to describe something visual. However, the ads with links to other sites that I have no control over is just wrong.

The Gardenweb policy is that we can not put ads into our posts, but they are going to do it for me. If I was a small business owner, I would be quite upset if a competitor's ad came up in my post, but I wouldn't be able to link to my own website. This is garbage, pure and simple.

If Gardenweb is against ads in posts, that's fine. If not, then just open it up to ALL ads, rather than just theirs.

This is a new policy that they are putting in, and gardenweb is taking the chance that the people who actually provide the most/best information (not referring to myself, but others who have some tremendous information to share) are not going to be coming here. Then the people who are seeking answers will go elsewhere for their information. If you get bad answers, why keep coming back, and then their revenue stream shrinks even lower.

• grow-anything
    14 years ago

I started several hundred seedlings in my unheated garage this year. The low temps sometimes hit 38F, but they were all on my light rack with bottom heat and lights on 24/7. Every seed tray sprouted within 7 days and some in 24 hours. I moved them all to a GH as soon as they popped their heads out of the soil where the temps run 45F-70F. The light rack is open with no extra covering, but the lights keep the seedlings warm.

FWIW. I may start to avoid the words that trigger this adds in my post, or I may avoid posting.

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Sorry I'm getting off topic here. I guess I haven't been on here long enough to experience this. So what your saying is Gardenweb is replacing your links with their own links? If that's the case, I would agree with you completely.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

UGF,

That's not what I am saying. Gardenweb is now adding ads (which include links) to the words in your posts. For example, my post above where I used the phrase...sm all busin ess own er. That has become an ad now, that I don't endorse. That's what is causing some folks (me included) to be upset.

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

@eaglesgarden, I was blind and now I see. Go ahead and chalk me up to the upset side. It totally interrupts what your trying to say and it's tacky as hell. I think the drop down ads are enough of a distraction.

• eaglesgarden
    14 years ago

UGF,

:-)

Back on topic, pippi21, please update us on your progress.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

About the ads and links in text. Having Firefox with Adblocker and Noscript I don't see the problem anymore. Forbid intellitext.com with Noscript and right click and block all popup ads with Adblocker.

ugf you might look for those ad-ons for Google Chrome. I like the speed of Google but also like my privacy.

I don't blame GW for trying to generate more revenue in times like these. If you are not going to contribute anything other than a few lines of text, quit complaining and get a better browser with more control. IE is the worst browser with more security issues than any of the rest.

Sorry for getting off topic but thought I would offer some answers instead of complaining or being a Cry Baby.