Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
7 sq feet, 250 w enough?

Posted by caosesvida zone 7 del. (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 11:23

I have 7 square feet, approx. 5' by 17" I have a 250 w mh light, do I need a larger wattage, a 400w or am I ok with the 250 w.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 7 sq feet, 250 w enough?

250W for 7sf is 35W/sf which is pretty bright. What are you growing? 35W/sf is more than enough for seedlings and low or medium light plants, you might even burn some plants. With a good reflector system you could be getting in excess of 2,000 foot-candles which would be enough for almost any plant.

o

I am starting tomato and pepper i was figuring about two feet above

o

Sounds about right. I don't grow tomatoes so I can't promise anything, but the numbers are right.

o

Most reflectors illuminate square areas. Unless you get a light mover, the ends of the 5' bench will be too dark. A 3' x 3' area would work better.

o

I will be using some reflectors to move light to ends.

o

That will help, but you are still likely to find the plants toward the center grow faster and stronger unless you move the lamp or the plants. Since the plants won't be under the light for all that long, the cheapest solution is to move the flats around every couple of weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here