Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annikki_gw

Installing/wiring lights

annikki
16 years ago

Like many here, I'm a newbie at this. I've got a shelf in my laundry room that might work well for starting some veggie seeds on, but lighting is an issue. I figured a shop light on adjustable chains would be fantastic.

At most, I can stick a 3' shop light above the shelf. I had picked up a 2' one from HD only to find that it had to be wired in -- I had thought it'd plug in, which works fantastically as there's an outlet at the base of the shelving unit. So that one went back to the store and my husband suggested an Ott-Light, as we already have an Ott-Light fixture that clamps down. Took it home, and apparently the craft fixture is not compatable with the plant bulb. Grabbed an 18" plug in fluorescent light fixture, but the more that I read here, the less usable it sounds. It'll be heading back to HD as well.

Anyhow -- does anyone have suggestions for an 18" to 3' fluorescent light fixture that can PLUG in? Or suggestions about how to do the wiring? Or, given that I'll end up with different sizes of plants over the next couple of months, should I go for clamp lights with CFL bulbs, which lets me put the bulbs at different heights for plants that are different heights? I know that ends up costing a little more money, but it'd end up with more flexibility of use, right?

Thanks!

Comments (2)