Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts About LED Grow Lights?

Posted by texgardner none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 12:37

Hey everyone!

I don't have a yard, but really want to start growing veggies. I've been looking for way to do this indoors and started researching grow lights. I saw this site where someone is trying to grow a bunch of different things indoors with a pink LED grow light and it does seem to be working I guess....but has anyone else done this?

Does it affect how the plants taste? Can the sun really be replaced?

They have some kind of tower thing too, and I don't know about all that. I'm just interested in the lights first of all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts About LED Grow Lights?

The pink leds (red blue and sometimes other leds) do work and they say it's anywhere for 5 to 50% more effective but the down sides are they cost twice+ as much and the plants just don't look as good when the lights are on.

You can grow plants with pure LEDS (no sun no windows) I have an enclosed grow box (4x4 foot) in my basement and I’m able to grow dwarf tomatoes and peppers with 150~w of leds (I would recommend 175-200w for a better growth). I’ve got a pink light , warm white, and cool white centered over different plants I can’t tell any noticeable difference in growth.

I can't say anything about taste I'm still 3-4 weeks from my first harvest.

*I tried taller plants before and failed the (diy/cheaper) LED just aren’t very effective on taller plants (3+ foot)*

o
RE: Thoughts About LED Grow Lights?

• Posted by Deva33 5... southeast Iowa (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 13:21

I found this site... http://www.planetnatural.com/growing-indoors/

It sounds like these HID bulbs are good. I think that I will try it. Please keep us updated on your success with the LED lights!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here