Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I use both lights?

Posted by paulflyboy 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 05 at 13:28

I am growing some datil pepper plants. The seedlings are about 2" high now. I have been using a spot gro light and the seedlings are very leggy. I read that fluorescent lights a few inches above the plants would help solve this problem. Should I continue using the Spot gro light with the fluorescent light or not?

Thanks,

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I use both lights?

Paul

I use only fluorescent lights with my seedlings and never have a problem with them reaching for the light. If they start to get leggy you can add more hours to the light.

Marv- Montezuma, IA

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

o

I have some other plants beside these seedlings. Will it hurt if I have both types of lights on at the same time? I also turned a fan on low because I read that will help them to become stocky. Thanks for the advice!

Paul

o

No reason it would hurt anything but your pocketbook.

Full sunlight is probably fifty times what florescents alone will output, so go crazy.

o

Whoa! I just looked at the price for the Spot Gro! You can get a compact fluorescent for less money, with double the light, halve your electric bill, last ten times as long, and get less waste heat.

The Spot Gro is an incandescent, the worst possible bulb for growing plants. Incandescents put out too little light, and none of it is blue. They put out too much heat to put right against seedlings and they use up wads of electricity if you run them 16 hours a day.

o

Thanks for all of the help. I am new to this and trying to figure out what will work the best. Thanks!

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here